Anonymity in Digital Era
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2014-03-29
About the Book
Many internet users are aware of the risks when signing up to services provided by companies such as Google, Facebook, Twitter, and that Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have the ability to store data. Some may even know that cellphone carriers store all text (SMS) messages sent.
The awareness has been raised thanks to Wikileaks, the SOPA bill, firewalls in countries like China and now western countries (Australia and New Zealand have had firewalls for quite a while), and country-specific legislation which enables rights holders to request ISPs disconnect their customers with little proof of copyright infringement.
But when you talk with friends or family about this, quite often response is “I’ve got nothing to hide” or “I’m not special.” Of course, you may not be special now, but who knows what might be considered “special” in the future?
It doesn’t take much to accidentally stumble across something you shouldn’t on the web, log files are stored with ISPs and cloud services that don’t have an expiry date. It’s easy for governments to cherry pick information that’s been collated through no fault of your own, and construct a story that fits their interest.
Every log file stored around the world will tell a story about you.
- About the book
- An important note for Windows and Mac users
- Conventions used in this Book
Encrypting your Internet traffic.
- Setting up Pidgin to work with TOR
- Setting up X-chat to work with TOR
- Setting up X-chat to work with I2P
- Setting up Pidgin to work with I2P
- Secure and Encrypted VoIP
- Whonix (Anonymous Operating System)
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Encrypting online communication
- Firefox Encryption Add-Ons
- Encrypting files in your Browser
- Encryption for social networks and open web
Encrypting your email
- Mail (Thunderbird and PGP)
- Secure E-mail Providers
- Disposable E-mail Addresses
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...