N Ways To Be A Better Developer
Last updated on 2016-12-30
About the Book
With over 25 years of combined experience as software developers, we share some of the lessons we have learned throughout our careers. Without diving into technical details and without focusing on any particular programming language, we analyze the nature of the developer and find patterns that help developers become better at their job. The book is based on our own careers: it's a reflection of what we've done right and wrong and analysing what got us to where we are today.
It is also based on the progression we have seen in so many developers. The both of us have not only worked as developers but we've also hired developers, managed developers, trained developers and coached developers. We've also spoken to many developers at conferences and in our developer communities. There are some common patterns that we recognize when we look at developers. We've seen things that work, we've seen things that didn't work. We've seen developers grow from shy fresh-out-of-college coders to super software architects. We've also seen developers wither away and never really progress. Being able to work with so many developers has helped us form an opinion on what we think are the key aspects that move developers forward.
The book is based on a number of keynotes we have delivered at developer conferences, where we talked about our experience as and with developers. The presentations and the book have a common goal: we hope that by sharing our insights, we help other developers become more succesful.
Note: the book is in early beta stages. We will be updating and enhancing it regularly. Buying the book before it's finished gives you early access to its contents, and will encourage us to continuously improve the book.
- From Keynote to Book - Ivo
- Sharing Ideas - Lorna
Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone!
- Status quo doesn’t move you forward - Ivo
- A word of encouragement - Lorna
The Dunning-Kruger Effect
- Seniors vs Seniors - Ivo
Keep Your Hands Dirty
- Don’t leave the trenches - Ivo
- Take a moment to consider the big picture - Lorna
- Continuous Evaluation - Ivo
- Love your job - Ivo
Learn to Google
- Search terms are an art - Ivo
Read, Meet, Code, Repeat
- The Devil is in the Details - Ivo
- Release Often, Even In Business - Lorna
Learn Other Languages
- Transferrable skills are transferrable - Lorna
Participate in Communities
- What colour is your community? There’s so much to choose from! - Lorna
Learn to Speak Manager
- Simple words - Lorna
Ask Questions, But Learn To Fish
- Asking great questions. Once - Lorna
- Helping by not helping - Ivo
- Share, and harvest the rewards - Lorna
- Educate yourself by educating others - Ivo
- Can I explain this to you? - Lorna
- Always challenge expectations - Lorna
- Expect the unexpected - Ivo
One Step At A Time
- Don’t be overwhelmed - Lorna
- Allow your brain to reach its full potential - Lorna
- Do as I say, not as I do - Ivo
Have a Role Model, Be a Role Model
- Follow, and Lead - Lorna
- How visualization helps create better software - Ivo
- A picture is worth a thousand words - Lorna
Explain Your Problem
- Talk to the penguin - Ivo
- Confessional Debugging - Lorna
Know Your Tools
- Get the best out of what you have - Lorna
Watch The Stars
- Be inspired, but remember you are not facebook - Ivo
What, when, why?
- The difference between what they ask, and what they need - Ivo
- What problem are we solving? - Lorna
- Time is Money - Lorna
- Keep your code clean - Ivo
Don’t believe in magic
- Code is deterministic - Ivo
Work Hard, Play Hard
- Avoid Work/Life Overbalance - Lorna
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...