Self-Study Guide to Git
About the Book
Learn git by doing! Each section teaches a specific skill or solves a specific problem - and each one includes a practical exercise for you to work through yourself. This deliberate practice means you will quickly pick up familiarity with all the git commands you need, and be able to use this tool for your own purposes. The short sections make this book ideal for those who are pushed for time as it can easily fit into short units of time rather than requiring sustained study.
This book assumes nothing, so beginners can begin at the beginning. More experienced users may choose to jump straight into the sections about rebasing or working with tracking branches - it's totally up to you!
- About This Workbook
- Get Some Tools
- Configure Git
- Make A Repository
- What’s Happening? Ask Git Status
- Keep Your Changes Under (Source) Control
- Study Your History with Git Log
- Inspect Your Changes with Git Diff
- Unstage An Added File
- Fix An Incorrect Commit Message
- Branch To Create A Safe Working Area
- Apply a Branch of Changes with Git Merge
- What’s The Story? Ask Git Log
- Git’s Staging Area
- Get The Right Commit On The Right Branch
- Spot The Difference: More Git Diff
- Power Diff with DiffTool
- Handle Interruptions with Git Stash
- Cherry-Pick Changes From Another Branch
- Git Revert
- UnMerge Changes
- I Lost My Work: Git Reflog to the Rescue
- Handling Conflicts - in Git and in Teams
- Merge Types
- Create A Fast-Forward Merge For A Clean History
- Rewrite History With Rebase Interactive
- Get Started With GitHub
- Understand Multiple Remotes
- Use Tracking Branches for Easy Collaboration
- Pull With Rebase When Your Branch Is Out Of Date
- Git Hooks
- Projects Within Projects: Git Submodule
- Git Bisect for Fault Finding in a Forest of Commits
- Quiz Answers
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.