NixOS in Production
NixOS in Production
The NixOS handbook for professional use ONLY
About the Book
This book is a guide to using NixOS in production that will help you answer the following questions:
- What real-world use cases does NixOS address better than the alternatives?
- What does a mature NixOS enterprise look like?
- How do I smoothly migrate an organization to adopt NixOS?
- What potential pitfalls of NixOS should I be mindful to avoid?
- How can I effectively support and debug NixOS when things go wrong?
I'm writing this book because I cultivated years of professional experience doing all of the above, back when no such resource existed. I learned NixOS the hard way and I'm writing this book so that you don't have to make the same mistakes I did.
- 1 Introduction
2 What is NixOS for?
- Desktop vs. Server
- On-premises vs. Software as a service
- The killer app for NixOS
- Profile of a NixOS adopter
- What does NixOS replace?
3 The big picture
- The Zen of NixOS
4 Setting up your development environment
- Installing Nix
- Running a NixOS virtual machine
5 Our first web server
- Hello, world!
- TODO list
- Passing through the filesystem
6 NixOS option definitions
- Anatomy of a NixOS module
- Syntactic sugar
- NixOS modules are not language features
7 Advanced option definitions
8 Deploying to AWS using Terraform
- Configuring your access keys
- A minimal Terraform specification
- Deploying our configuration
- Cleaning up
- Terraform walkthrough
- S3 Backend
- Version control
9 Continuous Integration and Deployment
- Continuous Integration
- Continuous Deployment
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.