One App for Mobile, Web, & Servers with Node & React
About the Book
Universal (aka "isomorphic") means that it's designed to run a lot of the same code on both the client and the server. Typically that includes a lot of rendering and domain logic.
There are many advantages to building apps this way, but the primary advantages are:
- Write once, run everywhere. With the exception of a few library substitutions and browser polyfills, the code is shared, which means you have to write about half the code you'd write working on a non-universal app.
- More productive developers. Since the app is more consistent across the stack, there's no context switching when you need to maintain application behavior on both sides of the stack. Write the behavior once, and you're done. Context switching slows developers down significantly.
React is a UI component framework built by Facebook and used in production by Instagram, Netflix, PayPal, AirBnB, Uber, and a whole lot more. Learn how React speeds up render performance using virtual DOM diffs and atomic updates, and how react manages events with automatic event delegation and synthetic events.
We'll also explore the flux architecture, immutable stores, and time-travel debugging, a feature that will make you wonder how you ever got by without it.
- Differential inheritance (delegate prototypes)
- Concatenative inheritance (exemplar prototypes)
- Functional inheritance (function prototypes)
The two pillars are essential concepts to learn because they're widely used in industry leading apps from companies like Facebook, NetFlix, Instagram, PayPal, and Microsoft. Why not put them to work for you, too?
Modern App Architecture & Services
Stop rewriting the same boilerplate for every app and every new service you write. We'll explore the current state of the app ecosystem:
- Security & production hardening
- Internationalization & localization
- Realtime APIs (sockets, server sent events, webhooks)
- Hypermedia APIs
- Feature toggles
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.