About the Book
Universal (aka "isomorphic") means that it's designed to run a lot of the same code on both the client and the server. Typically that includes a lot of rendering and domain logic.
There are many advantages to building apps this way, but the primary advantages are:
- Write once, run everywhere. With the exception of a few library substitutions and browser polyfills, the code is shared, which means you have to write about half the code you'd write working on a non-universal app.
- More productive developers. Since the app is more consistent across the stack, there's no context switching when you need to maintain application behavior on both sides of the stack. Write the behavior once, and you're done. Context switching slows developers down significantly.
React is a UI component framework built by Facebook and used in production by Instagram, Netflix, PayPal, AirBnB, Uber, and a whole lot more. Learn how React speeds up render performance using virtual DOM diffs and atomic updates, and how react manages events with automatic event delegation and synthetic events.
We'll also explore the flux architecture, immutable stores, and time-travel debugging, a feature that will make you wonder how you ever got by without it.
- Differential inheritance (delegate prototypes)
- Concatenative inheritance (exemplar prototypes)
- Functional inheritance (function prototypes)
The two pillars are essential concepts to learn because they're widely used in industry leading apps from companies like Facebook, NetFlix, Instagram, PayPal, and Microsoft. Why not put them to work for you, too?
Modern App Architecture & Services
Stop rewriting the same boilerplate for every app and every new service you write. We'll explore the current state of the app ecosystem:
- Security & production hardening
- Internationalization & localization
- Realtime APIs (sockets, server sent events, webhooks)
- Hypermedia APIs
- Feature toggles
About the Author
He spends most of his time in the San Francisco Bay Area with the most beautiful woman in the world.