Productive Philosophy for Life and Business
About the Book
Indie Book Reviews Verdict (4.7/5): In LEANISM, Benjamin Snipes works to build an intellectual paradigm for using Lean business management principles as the basis for a life philosophy. The resulting treatise is not for beginners, but fellow Lean adherents will find a home in its pages.
LEANISM: Productive Philosophy for Life and Business by Benjamin Snipes builds a theoretical grounding and an expansive paradigm for devotees of Lean business management. Rather than explain the tools of Lean management or provide a précis of Lean transformation, however (work that Snipes leaves to the many other books on the subject), Snipes works to underpin Lean--its precepts, its doctrine, and the reverberations of its implementation-- into an exploration of Lean's theoretical underpinnings, which crosses many disciplines.
What is Lean? Since at least the 1980s, when Toyota began to dominate the car manufacturing industry, businesses have sought to emulate what has become known as the "lean management" style Toyota implemented through Toyota Production System. This management style depended on a systemic and fully integrated customer-oriented re-visioning of a business's purpose, process, and its people. In that sense, it's neither simply a model nor a set of methods. It's a business's transformation toward what is called "true-north value": the maximalization of customer value and minimization of any-/everything extraneous to that value.
In LEANISM, Benjamin Snipes builds out the normative undergirding Lean, including and especially what it is that constitutes true-north value. Snipes therefore organizes the book by value streams, a schema that allows for a paradoxically rigid but relatively free-form examination of what defines a value stream, what determines its particular power, and how it can contribute to Lean business.
For example, "Value Stream 2: Money & Economics," discusses money's "existential and physical value" through lessons in economics, a series of loose case studies, and several market-based examples depicting the ways that value shifts or becomes relative (particularly vis-à-vis consumer perspectives). Ultimately, the value stream-based discussion considers the ways that Lean valuation both accommodates and exploits the limitations of price (for example) to more efficiently denote customer-perceived value and to therefore contribute to a business's true-north value.
Due in part to Leanism's ontological aspirations--it imagines an all-encompassing way-of-being for life and business--a Japanese-inflected lexicon communicates much of Lean's doctrine. While many practitioners eschew this usage, Snipes embraces it, offering a Lean Lexicon in the book's first pages. This is the perhaps clearest tell that this book is not for beginners. In fact, it's not even for intermediate practitioners. LEANISM is for advanced and perhaps impassioned devotees. Readers who are not only familiar with Lean principles but who are comfortable speaking Lean language will find much to mull over here.
~Molly Gage for IndieReader
LeanIsm, describes how you can lean forward to identify what is most valuable and apply that knowledge in your life and business. It explains how you may understand people's motives from the deepest perspective so you can solve their greatest problems for the most money possible.
Leanism is a hybrid of Western and Eastern philosophies applied to life and business that will lead you to true-north value. Leanism extends the business concept of Lean to the furthest horizon of what is known so you can reach the greatest profit. This is a stretch assignment about business so you will better think though, identify and produce what delights people most.
In short, it:
- Explains what "true-north value" in Lean is
- Explains how true-north value is created by exchanging money for well designed goods and services
- Explains "who" and "why" people are in the grandest scheme of things to think though, identify and produce what will delight people most
- Helps you as a leader meaningfully differentiate your products by most efficiently testing them against people's highest values
- It does the above through a structured method of inquiry, by first empathizing with people, determining their problems and motives, best fitting a product or service to those problems and motives, and then testing the solution against people's willingness to pay for it
- Helps you develop a core ideology and purpose that will give you the confidence to lead even in tough times
- Facilitates innovation through abstract, Lean thinking that crosses all disciplines
- Helps you ask the right questions to improve your analysis by better identifying what needs to be answered
Ben Snipes (JD/MBA/LLM) is based in New York City. He wrote this book to discover what value truly means and how that knowledge is used to make a profit.
- Lean Lexicon
- A3 Report
Lean Philosophy Further Summarized
- Value Stream 1: Headwaters
- Value Stream 2: Money & Economics – Lean Normative, Real and Monetary Value
- Value Stream 3: Existence – Lean Universal, Process and Personal Values
- Value Stream 4: Lives – Lean Living Systems
- Value Stream 5: People’s – Lean Ethics, Motivation and Factors of Truth Value
Value Stream 1: Headwaters to Lean Philosophy
- Value Stream 1 A3 Report:
- Why Lean?
- Why Lean Philosophically?
- Getting Around “Lean Philosophy”
- Further Reasons to Lean Philosophically
- Why Lean More Specifically?
- Philosophically Leaning Your Business Ideology
- Philosopher Kings and Queens
The Philosophy of Lean in the Grand Design
- Limits to Business Quantification
- The U/People Business Model
- Synthesizing Subjects
Quantifying Lean Abstraction and Analogies for Sales Success
- From Zero to One
- The Symbols - The Forward Slash, Circumflex, and Sigmas
- U People / Toward 6σ
- U/People in the Lean True-North Value Stream
- Pay Us over the Pay Wall at the Margin of Existence
- Identifying the Four Steps to Lean
- The Para-Scientific Business Process
- The ID Kata
- High Flying Mamas
- UP in the Air
- Consumers are Always Right
- U/People and Michael Porter’s Value Chain
- L-Shaped Reflection of What U/People Value
- You Lean Philosophically Toward People
- Products and/or services > P. and/or S. > PA/OS > Pay Us > SOAP.com
- Value Stream 2: Money & Economics as True Value
Value Stream 2: Money & Economics
- Value Stream 2 A3 Report:
- The Brazilian Real
- Precious Metals and the Locke-Lowndes Debates
- With Money Comes Great Power
Caveats to Measuring Money
- (1) Supply, Substitutes and the Warhol Paradox
- (2) Barter and Self-service
- (3) Market Structural Distortions
- People’s Money Veil
- Off to See the Wizard
- Funny Money
- Traditional and Modern Measurements of Money
- Irrational, Process-Oriented Value Estimation
- Optimal Slack
- Cash and Credit Flow as Meta-Economic Value Streams
- Truth Value as Two Sides of the Same Physical Coin
- Moving Forward
Value Stream 3: Existence
- Value Stream 3 A3 Report:
- Existence and Ontology Defined
- Tripartite Perspectives on Existence - Universal, Process and Personal Truth Values
- You, the Plane and the Lottery – On UPP as a Universal, Process, Person
- Three Lean Truth Types Aligned with Universal, Process and Personal True-North Value Perspectives
- Reason, Causation or Nothing
- Reason as Causation from Aristotle’s Perspective, with Modification
- Relating Aristotle’s Four Causes to Lean Levels of True-North Value
- Rational Agnosticism- Existential Causation in the Eastern Traditions
- Boundaries of Reason – Self-Causing Causes, Gödel’s Second Incompleteness Theorem and Simon’s Bounded Rationality
- 20th Century Fragmentation of Unification
- Money as Unified Lean Theory
- Beautiful Question Marks??
- Fecund Universes?
- Other Scientismic Theories
Consumers’ Existences Are As If Self-Defined
Intuition Bracketing (“IBing”) Speculation for Money
- Chart of the Intuition Bracket or IB
- Ontological Medium (the OM)
- The Ontological Teleology (the OT)
- Ontologically Prospective Projects (the OPPs)
- Teleology v Teleonomy
- The Open-Ended Paradox of the OT
- Silly Suds
Value Stream 4: Lives
- Value Stream 4 A3 Report:
- Customers Self-Organize Upward Along the OT
Self-Organizing and Supervening Levels of OT Sophistication: From SOOT to SLOTS
- Super Supervenience
- Supervenience of Weather, Money and Consumers
- What Goes UPP Must Come Down
- How Did People Come to Live? Living SLOTS Emerge
- Leaning Toward ARE SLOTS - Becoming Meaningfully Viable
- You / People
- One General Definition of Life Proposed by a NASA Working Group
- Qualities of Living Qualities
Lean Toward ARE Processes
- How Far ARE You Leaning Toward Consumers?
How Lean ARE an Organization’s Processes?
Apple of My “i”
- Consumers’ Pocket Universe
- Apple of My “i”
- The Axial Age – Energizing Money and Intuition
Spaghetti Suds ARE Processes
- The FSM is Not Dead
- Emergence of SUDS through SOOT into SLOTS
- The Survivor Tree of Life
The Universal Constructor, Games of Life and Langston’s Ants
- Universal Constructors
- Conway’s Games of Life
- Langston’s Ant
- The Great Chain of Being
- Valuable Energy Streams are The Great Chain of Being
- An Organization’s (B/ARE) Viability
- B/ARE as Modern Evolutionary Synthesis
- C/ARE Downward
- Studying Consumers’ Circular Randomness
Adding Intention to Organisms that C/ARE (“I/C/ARE”)
- Chart: Timeline of Known Universe vs. Degrees of OT Existence
- Mitochondria, Consumers and their Pets are Co-Determined
Value Stream 5: People
- Value Stream 5 A3 Report:
- OT / NOT as Strategic Degrees of Consumers’ Sophistication
- As Consumers Find Themselves - Karl Jaspers’ “Existenz” and Existential Best Fit Models
- Phenomenology and Survival of the Persistent
- California Dreaming
- The Rothko Effect
- Test for Qualia: Do People See the Same Color PA/OS?
- Lifting the Veil to See Reality
- The Scientific Revolution of the OT
- Phenomenological Categorization to Abstract Analogy Making
Y AM I?
- Moving Beyond the OT to What Gets Bought
- Philosophical Zombies as Straw Men
- U/People are NOT in Jeopardy
- Maximally Existential Meaning Defined (/σ∞)
- OT Cognitive Dissonance (“OCD”) and Meaning
- Meaning Means Maximum Existence
- A Buy-Product of Conscious Existence is Meaning
- Springing Beyond the OT
- Consumers’ Hall of Mirrors
On the Shoulders of People Who are NOT
- “Will to Live” - Shopenhauer
- “Will to Power” - Nietzsche / Adler
- “Will to Pleasure” - Freud
- “Will to Meaning” - Kierkegaard / Frankl
- “Will to Will” - Nietzsche
- Opportunities and Threats as Binary SW/OT Analysis
- WE/ARE Supervening Conceptual Structures
- WE/ARE Existentially Optimizing
- U/ARE Forming Micro, Meso and Macro Economic, Political and Cultural Structures
- U/ARE Processes Determining Ontology and Ethics
- Universalizing Consumers’ Will to Exist
- What an Organization Ought to D/O
- Universalization of Ought Ethics (U.) for Fun and Profit
- Universalizing Consumers’ Universal Egoism
- Universalizing Your Organizations’ Perfectionist Consequentialism
- Altruism and Optimizing Being
- The Problem of Evil Google Can’t Escape
Ethical Prospects – OPPs for the Captain, Prisoner and Transplant
- The Captain
- The Prisoner
- The Transplant
- Emotions as Personal Analogies
- Survival of a Systemic Utilitarianism Inside the IB
- Customers’ Upward, Downward, Inward, Outward Demand - Supervenience and Enactivism
Hierarchy of Needs - Maslow Inc.
Self-Actualizing Peak Experiences, Flow and Getting Bought
- Peak Experiences
- Love & Belonging
- Self-Actualizing Peak Experiences, Flow and Getting Bought
- No Need Hierarchy
Other Need Theorists
- Henry Murray
- Clayton Alderfer
- David McClelland
- Manfred Max-Neef
- Paul Lawrence
- Deci and Ryan
- Attachment Theory
- Factors of the Ought
- Zero to One Again- Binary Oppositions of Bought and Nought
- Ought factors (Ofs) of Psychological Motivation
- Model of U/ARE Ought Factors
- Higher Order Meta-Ofs (MOs)
Industrial Classification of MOs
- Transportation MOs
- Telecommunication MOs
- Factoring Meta-Ought Factors
- Emotional Meta-Ofs (EMOs)
- Irrational Exuberance
- Extending Personas through U/ARE Processes
- The Harder They Fall
- The Only Way is UPP through Meaning
- Bringing it All Together
- Value Stream 6: People’s, Chief Meaning Officer (CMO)
- Value Stream 7: Optimizing, Chief Optimization Officer (COO)
- Value Stream 8: Extending, Chief Extension Officer (CEO)
- Value Stream 9: Profitably, Chief Function Officer (CFO)
- Value Stream 10: Uniquely, Chief Information, Innovation & Design Officer (IDEO)
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.