Lean3 Project Management
Lean3 Project Management
Lean Project Management for repeated Project Success
About the Book
Lean3 Project Management is a ground-breaking book for Project Managers. It brings lessons from Lean Manufacturing into Project Management.
Lean Manufacturing was pioneered by Toyota in the 1950's and has transformed factories worldwide. The Lean Factory is flexible and efficient; and produces high quality products. Project Management needs the same transformation, so we can deliver repeated project success.
Read this book to understand how to transfer Lean concepts into Project Management.
- Toyota introduced collaborative design to fast-track the launch of a new car. Lean3 introduces collaborative Project Design into Project Management: a project should be designed, not just planned.
- Lean Manufacturing has a emphasis on Value Streams; Lean3 brings an equivalent focus on the Project Flow, to optimise both the flow of work and the flow of value during the project.
- Lean Manufacturing stresses Continuous Improvement, both on the production line and throughout the factory. Similarly, Lean3 explains, in practical terms, how to implement Continuous Improvement in Project Management. Each project helps deliver your Project Factory, which you improve year after year.
There's no Lean jargon in the book. No muda, mura or muri. No 5S, takt time or TPM. Just a set of pertinent lessons from Lean Manufacturing, crafted into a coherent Project Management solution.
This is a practical book for Project Managers. At its heart is a simple Project Management method, which becomes your starting place, your initial standard for Project Management. It's minimal. It's Lean.
The method is well explained, with lots of examples (a sample project), supported by simple documents.
Read this book if you want a new approach to Project Management, to deliver repeated project success.
- Lean3: a new approach for a new decade
- Three ways to read this book
- Introducing the Lean3 principles for Project Management
- Introducing the gated Life-Cycle
- Introducing the Project Organisation
- 1. Introduction
Part 1 : Why Lean3 Project Management?
2. Third Generation Project Management
- Lean3 is inspired by Lean Manufacturing
- It’s time for 3rd generation Project Management
- Three generations of Project Management
3. Cynefin helps make sense of Project Management
- Cynefin helps make sense of the world
- Cynefin is about knowledge
- Existing Project methods are inflexible
- When the Project method generates disorder
- Use Cynefin to manage a hybrid Project
4. The Lean3 principles for Project Management
- Lean3 Principle 1: Design the Project
- Lean3 Principle 2: Focus on the flow
- Lean3 Principle 3: Use a Gate Process
- Lean3 Principle 4: Promote Continuous Improvement
- Lean3 Principle 5: Institute a PMO role
- 2. Third Generation Project Management
Part 2 : The Project Management Process
5. Overview of the Gate Process: documents and procedures
- The main documents
- The main procedures
- Introduction to Stages
- Demand Management
- Start-up Stage
- Design Stage
- Delivery Stages
- Closedown Stage
- 5. Overview of the Gate Process: documents and procedures
Part 3 : The Project Management Procedures
7. Gates and Gatekeepers
- Introduction to Gates and Gatekeepers
- Overview of Gate procedures
- The Project Board - gatekeepers
- The Gate Process uses Management by exception
- Procedure: Gate Preparation procedure
- Procedure: Gate Decision procedure
8. Project Design
- Introduction to Project Design
- Overview of Project Design procedures
- Procedure: High-Level Design
- Procedure: Outline a Deliverable
- Procedure: Collaborative Design procedure
- Procedure: Assumptions Review procedure
- Using Design Patterns
- Overview of Delivery procedures
- Procedure: Produce a Deliverable
- Procedure: Monitor Delivery Status
- Procedure: Exception Management procedure
10. Other Project Management Procedures
- Procedure: Planning procedure
- Procedure: Risk Analysis procedure
- Procedure: Stakeholder Engagement procedure
- Procedure: Benefit Realisation procedure
- 7. Gates and Gatekeepers
Part 4 : The Project Factory
11. Continuous improvement
- Introduction to Continuous improvement
- Standardise: Standards are the basis for improvement
- Do: Project Manager runs the project using standards
- Check: Get feedback, review projects
- Act: Take corrective action
- Procedure: Retrospective procedure
12. The role of the PMO
- Introduction to the role of the PMO
- PMO in the Project Life-cycle
- Procedure: Project Compliance Review
- 11. Continuous improvement
- Diagram: Deliverable Breakdown Structure (DBS)
- Diagram: Project Flow Diagram
- Document: Project Mandate
- Document: Project Brief
- Document: Business Case
- Document: Deliverable Brief
- Plan: Communications Plan
- Plan: Project Plan
- Plan: Stage Plan
- Register: Deliverable Checklist
- Register: Issue register
- Register: Risk register
- Register: Stakeholder register
- Register: Gate Decision Register
- Report: Deliverable Progress Report
- Report: End of Stage Report
- Report: Project Flow Status Report
- Report: Project Highlight Report
- Report: Benefit Realisation Report
- Report: End of Project Report
14. Example of Project Design
- Start-up Stage
- Planning Stage
- Delivery Stages
15. Final words
- Other Lean3 Books
- About the Author
- Free updates to the book
- Trademarks & Copyright
- 13. Documents
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Digital-First EventsJoep Piscaer and Jana Boruta
The only resource you will ever need to launch your digital events program.
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud can transform your organization, but it shouldn’t be driven by wishes. This book tells you how to develop a sound strategy guided by frameworks and decision models without being overly abstract nor getting lost in product details.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Technical leadership and the balance with agilitySimon Brown
A developer-friendly, practical and pragmatic guide to lightweight software architecture, technical leadership and the balance with agility.
Everyday Rails - RSpecによるRailsテスト入門Junichi Ito (伊藤淳一), AKIMOTO Toshiharu, 魚振江, and Aaron Sumner
RSpecを使ってRailsアプリケーションに信頼性の高いテストを書く実践的なアドバイスを提供します。詳細で丁寧な説明は本書のオリジナルコンテンツです。また、説明には実際に動かせるサンプルアプリケーションも使用します。本書は2017年版にアップデートされ、RSpec 3.6やRails 5.1といった新しい環境に対応しています！さあ、自信をもってテストできるようになりましょう！
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
The Python Craftsman
3 BooksThe Python Craftsman series comprises The Python Apprentice, The Python Journeyman, and The Python Master. The first book is primarily suitable for for programmers with some experience of programming in another language. If you don't have any experience with programming this book may be a bit daunting. You'll be learning not just a programming...
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...