About the Book
Lean3 Project Management is a ground-breaking book for Project Managers. It brings lessons from Lean Manufacturing into Project Management.
Lean Manufacturing was pioneered by Toyota in the 1950's and has transformed factories worldwide. The Lean Factory is flexible and efficient; and produces high quality products. Project Management needs the same transformation, so we can deliver repeated project success.
Read this book to understand how to transfer Lean concepts into Project Management.
- Toyota introduced collaborative design to fast-track the launch of a new car. Lean3 introduces collaborative Project Design into Project Management: a project should be designed, not just planned.
- Lean Manufacturing has a emphasis on Value Streams; Lean3 brings an equivalent focus on the Project Flow, to optimise both the flow of work and the flow of value during the project.
- Lean Manufacturing stresses Kaizen, to ensure Continuous Improvement on the production line and throughout the factory. Similarly, Lean3 explains, in practical terms, how to implement Continuous Improvement in Project Management, so that each project helps deliver your Project Factory, which you improve year after year.
There's no Lean jargon in the book. No muda, mura or muri. No 5S, takt time or TPM. Just a set of pertinent lessons from Lean Manufacturing, crafted into a coherent Project Management solution.
This is a practical book for Project Managers. At its heart is a simple Project Management method, which becomes your starting place, your initial standard for Project Management. It's minimal. It's Lean.
The method is well explained, with lots of examples (a sample project), supported by simple documents.
Read this book if you want a new approach to Project Management, to deliver repeated project success.
About the Author
Jeff Ball is a Project Management specialist. Jeff lives in France. He is writing a series of books on Lean3.
A strong track record …
Jeff has delivered change initiatives in manufacturing, trading and banking companies
As ► Project Manager, Jeff has delivered end-to-end IT projects in challenging multicultural environments
As ► Programme Manager, Jeff managed the worldwide Y2K initiative for NEC Computers
As ► PMO manager, Jeff secured the success of a complex 10-country ERP programme with a 70-strong team, supported by a PMO of 10 people.
Innovative approach to methods… agility before Agile
Long before the birth of Agile, Jeff explored alternatives to waterfall methods
□ In the 80’s, Jeff built a commodity trading system using rapid prototyping methods. The system was deployed in two continents to manage multi-million-dollar portfolios.
□ In the 90’s, Jeff managed a global project, using time-boxes and MoSCoW prioritisation. The solution was rolled out to R&D labs in Europe, US, Australia and Asia.
Practical approach to methods… making them work
Jeff Ball has implemented gate-process methods for several major organisations
- set up a European IT PMO introducing basic stage gate PM methods
- rescued a broken implementation of Prince2 and Clarity. Created a working, robust Project Management process
- created a clean PM process for a local government team, combining slim Prince2 with slim PM software.
Deep knowledge of PM software tools… he built one
Jeff created an enterprise software package called TrioProject to support gate-process methods. TrioProject was used in various sectors (healthcare, construction, chemicals). It was launched in 2004 and retired in 2013.