Inside The Python Virtual Machine
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2020-03-23
About the Book
Inside the Python Virtual Machine provides a guided tour under the covers of the Python interpreter for the curious pythonista. It attempts to show the user what happens from the moment the user executes a piece of Python code to the point when the interpreter returns the result of executing the piece of code.
This book will provide the readers with an understanding of the various processes that go into compiling and executing a python program removing most of the mystery surrounding how the python interpreter executes source code. The books starts out with a description of the compilation phase with emphasis on the less generic parts of the compilation phase. It then proceeds to discuss python objects and their implementation in CPython. This is followed by a discussion of various objects types that are central to the interpreter such as frame objects and code objects. The process of evaluating code objects by the interpreter loop is also discussed as well as how to extend the Python programming language with your own constructs.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. The View From 30,000ft
3. Compiling Python Source Code
- 3.1 From Source To Parse Tree
- 3.2 Python tokens
- 3.3 From Parse Tree To Abstract Syntax Tree
- 3.4 Building The Symbol Table
- 3.5 From AST To Code Objects
4. Python Objects
- 4.1 PyObject
- 4.2 Under the cover of Types
- 4.3 Type Object Case Studies
- 4.4 Minting type instances
- 4.5 Objects and their attributes
- 4.6 Method Resolution Order (MRO)
5. Code Objects
- 5.1 Exploring code objects
- 5.2 Code Objects within other code objects
- 5.3 Code Objects in the VM
6. Frames Objects
- 6.1 Allocating Frame Objects
7. Interpreter and Thread States
- 7.1 The Interpreter state
- 7.2 The Thread state
8. Intermezzo: The
9. The evaluation loop,
- 9.1 Putting names in place
- 9.2 The parts of the machine
- 9.3 The Evaluation loop
- 9.4 A sampling of opcodes
10. The Block Stack
- 10.1 A Short Note on Exception Handling
- 11. From Class code to bytecode
12. Generators: Behind the scenes.
- 12.1 The Generator object
- 12.2 Running a generator
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.