About the Book
The python ecosystem is awash with books for beginners but few books target readers that are past the beginning stages but are not yet advanced users. The book aims to bridge that gap.
The content of this book looks primarily at the various means for code organization in Python and provides user with a rigorous grounding in these. it dives into topics such as python object system, functions, decorators, metaprogramming and generators providing the reader with an in-depth knowledge of these topics that is essential for writing idiomatic and robust python code. It aims to provide a reader with not only a how-to but also a why for Python concepts. Concepts are well explained with abundance of code snippets.
If you are looking for a book to take you beyond the beginner level in python, this is definitely the right book for you.
Table of Contents
- 1. Acknowledgements
2. An Introduction
- 2.1 The Evolution of Python
- 2.2 Python 2 vs Python 3
- 2.3 The Python Programming Language
3. A Very Short Tutorial
- 3.1 Using Python
- 3.2 Python Statements, Line Structure and Indentation
- 3.3 Strings
- 3.4 Flow Control
- 3.5 Functions
- 3.6 Data Structures
- 3.7 Classes
- 3.8 Modules
- 3.9 Exceptions
- 3.10 Input and Output
- 3.11 Getting Help
4. Intermezzo: Glossary
- 4.1 Names and Binding
- 4.2 Code Blocks
- 4.3 Name-spaces
- 4.4 Scopes
5. Objects 201
- 5.1 Strong and Weak Object References
5.2 The Type Hierarchy
- Sequence Type
- Callable Types
- Custom Type
- Module Type
- File/IO Types
- Built-in Types
6. Object Oriented Programming
6.1 The Mechanics of Class Definitions
- Class Objects
- Instance Objects
- Method Objects
6.2 Customizing User-defined Types
- Special methods for Type Emulation
- Special Methods for comparing objects
- Special Methods and Attributes for Miscellaneous Customizations
- Multiple Inheritance
6.5 Static and Class Methods
- Static Methods
- Class Methods
6.6 Descriptors and Properties
- Enter Python Descriptors
- Class Properties
- 6.7 Abstract Base Classes
- 6.1 The Mechanics of Class Definitions
7. The Function
- 7.1 Function Definitions
- 7.2 Functions are Objects
- 7.3 Functions are descriptors
7.4 Calling Functions
- Unpacking Function Argument
- 7.5 Nested functions and Closures
7.6 A Byte of Functional Programming
- The Basics
- Sequences and Functional Programming
8. Iterators and Generators
- Generator Functions
- Generator Expressions
- The Beauty of Generators and Iterators
8.3 From Generators To Coroutines
- Simulating Multitasking with Coroutines
- 8.5 A Game of Life
- 8.1 Iterators
9. MetaProgramming and Co.
- Function Decorators
- Decorators in Python
- Passing Arguments To Decorated Functions
- Decorator Functions with Arguments
- Class Decorators
- 9.2 Decorator Recipes
- Metaclasses in Action
__init__in Custom Metaclasses
9.4 Context Managers
- 9.1 Decorators
10. Modules And Packages
- Reloading Modules
- 10.2 How are Modules found?
- Regular Packages
- Namespace Packages
10.4 The Import System
- The Import Search Process
- Why You Probably Should Not Reload Modules…
- 10.5 Distributing Python Programs
- 10.1 Modules
11. Inspecting Objects
- 11.1 Handling source code
- 11.2 Inspecting Classes and Functions
- 11.3 Interacting with Interpreter Stacks
- 12. The Zen of Python …
Watsi is a global crowdfunding platform for healthcare that enables anyone to donate as little as $5 to directly fund life-changing medical care for people in need. 100% of every donation funds medical care and we are dedicated to complete transparency.
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them