A Lisp Programmer Living in Python-Land: The Hy Programming Language
A Lisp Programmer Living in Python-Land: The Hy Programming Language
About the Book
Updated July 31, 2020: I corrected several typos, added more descriptive text, fixed a possible installation problem for the NLP coreference example, and did some rework on the semantic web material.
Updated June 7, 2020: I added two chapters on using the Bing Search APIs and on my Knowledge Graph Navigator project. Several other minor changes.
While this is a book on the Hy Lisp language,
In addition to being a tutorial and cookbook on using the Hy language, longer examples explore a variety of different applications and tools. The current structure of the book is:
- Introduction to the Hy Language
- Why use Lisp? Advantages of bottom up development using macros and closures
- Relational databases
- Web app development
- Web scraping
- Using the Bing search APIs
- Accessing semantic web and linked data sources like Wikipedia, DBpedia, and Wikidata
- Automatically constructing Knowledge Graphs from text documents, semantic web and linked data
- Deep Learning (predictive model from spreadsheet data and a LSTM-based English text language model)
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) using Deep Learning
- Creating Knowledge Graphs from text data
- Hy language implementation of the author's Knowledge Graph Navigator project
- Setting Up Your Development Environment
- What is Lisp Programming Style?
- Hy is Python, But With a Lisp Syntax
- How This Book Reflects My Views on Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Society and Technology
- About the Book Cover
- A Request from the Author
Introduction to the Hy Language
- We Will Often Use the Contributed let Macro in Book Example Code
- Using Python Libraries
- Global vs. Local Variables
- Using Python Code in Hy Programs
- Using Hy Libraries in Python Programs
- Replacing the Python slice (cut) Notation with the Hy Functional Form
- Iterating Through a List With Index of Each Element
- Formatted Output
- Importing Libraries from Different Directories on Your Laptop
- Using Closures
- Hy Looks Like Clojure: How Similar Are They?
- Plotting Data Using the Numpy and the Matplotlib Libraries
- Bonus Points: Configuration for macOS and ITerm2 for Generating Plots Inline in a Hy REPL and Shell
- I Hated the Waterfall Method in the 1970s but Learned to Love a Bottom-Up Programming Style
- First Introduction to Lisp
- Commercial Product Development and Deployment Using Lisp
- Hy Macros Let You Extend the Hy Language in Your Programs
- Performing Bottom Up Development Inside a REPL is a Lifestyle Choice
Writing Web Applications
- Getting Started With Flask: Using Python Decorators in Hy
- Using Jinja2 Templates To Generate HTML
- Handling HTTP Sessions and Cookies
- Deploying Hy Language Flask Apps to Google Cloud Platform AppEngine
- Deploying Hy Language Flask Apps to the Heroku Platform
Responsible Web Scraping
- Using the Python BeautifulSoup Library in the Hy Language
- Getting HTML Links from the DemocracyNow.org News Web Site
- Getting Summaries of Front Page from the NPR.org News Web Site
Using the Microsoft Bing Search APIs
- Getting an Access Key for Microsoft Bing Search APIs
- Example Search Script
- Simple Multi-layer Perceptron Neural Networks
- Deep Learning
- Using Keras and TensorFlow to Model The Wisconsin Cancer Data Set
- Using a LSTM Recurrent Neural Network to Generate English Text Similar to the Philosopher Nietzsche’s writing
Natural Language Processing
- Exploring the spaCy Library
- Implementing a HyNLP Wrapper for the Python spaCy Library
- Coreference (Anaphora Resolution)
- RDF Data Using the “rdflib” Library
Linked Data and the Semantic Web
- Understanding the Resource Description Framework (RDF)
- Resource Namespaces Provided in rdflib
- Understanding the SPARQL Query Language
- Wrapping the Python rdflib Library
Knowledge Graph Creator
- Recommended Industrial Use of Knowledge Graphs
- Design of KGCreator Application
- Problems with using Literal Values in RDF
- Revisiting This Example Using URIs Instead of Literal Values
Knowledge Graph Navigator
- Review of NLP Utilities Used in Application
- Developing Low-Level Caching SPARQL Utilities
- Utilities to Colorize SPARQL and Generated Output
- Text Utilities for Queries and Results
- Finishing the Main Function for KGN
- Book Wrap-up
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
CCIE Service Provider Version 4 Written and Lab Exam Comprehensive GuideNicholas Russo
The service provider landscape has changed rapidly over the past several years. Networking vendors are continuing to propose new standards, techniques, and procedures for overcoming new challenges while concurrently reducing costs and delivering new services. Cisco has recently updated the CCIE Service Provider track to reflect these changes; this book represents the author's personal journey in achieving that certification.
CCIE SP v4.1 - WorkbookŁukasz Bromirski, Piotr Jablonski, and Nicholas Russo
Are you striving to prepare to and pass CCIE SP lab exam? Take the opportunity and get this workbook! With the attached initial cfg files you will prepare yourself for the CCIE SP exam as well as learn SP technologies applicable to all kinds of today modern networks! This workbook covers blueprint topics and provides challenging examples.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Code Faster in DelphiAlister Christie
This book will make you a faster Delphi developer, it doesn't matter if you are just starting out, or have been using Delphi since version 1, you will find all sorts of tips, tricks and hacks to boost your productivity.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
People Skills—Soft but Difficult
7 BooksPerhaps you've been told that "lack of people skills" has been holding you back. No wonder: you may have had hundreds of hours of technical training, but little or no "people skills" guidance.You've heard it said that people skills are "soft," whereas technical skills are "hard." For you, though, technical skills are "easy," but people skills...
SurviveJS - Webpack + React
2 BooksGet both SurviveJS - Webpack and SurviveJS - React for a single price!
Experiential Learning Bundle
4 BooksThis bundle provides all four volumes of the popular Experiential Learning Series at a savings of $20 over the price if purchased separately.