Mastering Version Control with Git and GitHub
About the Book
Git Prodigy is your clear, concise guide to mastering Git and GitHub. This book focuses on practical insights, avoiding unnecessary technical jargon so that anyone, regardless of their background or experience, can understand the art of version control in an approachable manner.
The book begins with a firm grounding in version control and Git basics, then moves on to explore GitHub. You'll delve into key Git commands, the ins and outs of commits, branching and merging, and the intricacies of collaboration on GitHub, including forking, pull requests and code reviews.
Git Prodigy highlights the enriching world of open-source contributions, helping you understand the culture and practices that drive this vibrant community. It provides insights into open-source licensing, equipping you with the knowledge to contribute confidently and responsibly.
The journey continues into advanced Git features and hands-on troubleshooting techniques, then wraps up with a handy Git command cheat sheet. Whether you're a beginner, an experienced developer, or an open-source enthusiast, this book delivers the understanding and practical skills you need to master version control with Git and GitHub.
- 1. Introduction to Version Control
- What is Version Control?
- Why is Version Control Important?
- Introduction to Git
- Other Version Control Systems
- Installing Git
- 2. Getting Started with Git - Command Line and GUI
- Basic Git Commands
- CLI vs GUI: Understanding the Differences
- Performing Basic Commands in VSCode
- Creating Your First Repository and Making Your First Commit
- Viewing the Commit History and Reverting To A Previous Commit
- 3. Branching and Merging in Git
- Understanding Branches
- Creating and Switching Between Branches
- Merging Branches
- Resolving Merge Conflicts
- Branching and Merging Using VSCode
- 4. Introduction to GitHub
- What is GitHub?
- Creating a GitHub Account
- Exploring the GitHub Interface
- Creating Your First GitHub Repository
- 5. Remote repositories with GitHub
- Understanding Remote Repositories
- Connecting Git with GitHub
- Cloning a GitHub Repository
- Pushing to and Pulling from GitHub
- 6. Collaborating on GitHub
- Understanding Collaborators and Permissions
- Inviting Collaborators to a Repository
- Forking a Repository
- Pull Requests
- Code Review and Merging on GitHub
- 7. Best Practices for Git and GitHub
- Writing Good Commit Messages
- Managing Branches Effectively
- Repository Organization and READMEs
- Things to Keep in Mind when Working with Git and GitHub
- 8. Licensing and Open Source
- What is Open Source?
- Open Source Licensing
- Best Practices for Contributing to Open Source Projects
- 9. Advanced Git Features
- Stashing Changes
- Rebasing and Rewriting History
- Using Git Hooks
- Git Blame and Bisect: Tracing Changes and Debugging
- 10. Troubleshooting Common Git and GitHub Issues
- Detached HEAD State
- Authentication Issues
- Recovering Lost Commits
- 11. Conclusion and Next Steps
- Reflecting on Git and GitHub Concepts
- Further Resources and Learning Paths
- Appendix A: Git Command Cheat Sheet
- Appendix B: Glossary of Git and GitHub Terms
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.