Geek on a Harley, the Road to GOTO Chicago: Chaos Tour Book
Geek on a Harley, the Road to GOTO Chicago: Chaos Tour Book
Stories of production failure, chaos engineering, motorcycles, communities and escapades on the highways of America
About the Book
A travel journal with a difference... In March and April 2018 Russ Miles, the Geek on a Harley and CEO of ChaosIQ, will be riding 5000 miles from San Francisco to the GOTO Chicago 2018 conference doing a free evening talk on many aspects of software development every stop he makes. This book is Russ's story of the journey, written and published during the tour, and woven together from the stories of production failures and incidents he encounters and that likely we all face someday.
Although this book is free, any optionally paid proceeds from this book will be donated to Girls Who Code.
- The Geek on a Harley, Road to GOTO Chicago: Chaos Tour Schedule
- Raising Money for a Good Cause
- Some important and heartfelt thanks!
Welcome to a Travel Journal with a Difference!
- 5000 Miles is just NOT enough…
- Rough, Ready, Raw and with Typos
- The Tour in Stark Relief
- The Book’s Point: Let’s talk “Production” and Chaos Engineering
- Stories and Technical Pit Stops
- Show me the Code!
- The Crazy Origins of this Tour
- “Ok, maybe we could do this!”
- Part One - The Birth and Preparations for the Tour
Starting at The Lowest Point
- The Highs and Lows
- The Show Must Go On
- Fast Forward to March…
The Warm-Up Gig: Build Stuff BBQ evening
- Too many slides, too little time
- Kicking off with a BBQ
- Confessions of an Introvert Speaker
- Jovita Kažemėkaitytė and Women Go Tech
- Survival in a Forest of Slides
- Production Incidents and Chaos Explored in Vilnius
- So long, and thanks for all the lessons!
Technical Pit Stop: Chaos Engineering Introduced
- The Challenge that Chaos Engineering meets
- The Principles of Chaos
- More than just Infrastructure
- Not just about Breaking things
- Chaos Engineering is an Empirical Approach
- From Game Days to Automated Chaos Experiments
- Giving Chaos Engineering a spin with the free and open source Chaos Toolkit
- More on Chaos Engineering later
Second Warmup in Oslo, days to go…
- When to decide to invest in Cloud Native
- A great, practical day of workshops
- Production Stories from Oslo
- “That time when I deleted the master node…”
- You have … spam … from us?!
- Death by Logging…
Technical Pit Stop: Observability
- Questions, not just the Answers
- Observability across the Sociotechnical System
- Observability is Crucial to Chaos Engineering
- Steps towards Observability
- Demonstrating Observability and Chaos Engineering
- Part Two - Starting the Tour in the West
Chaos in the Bay: The Kickoff of the Tour
- Getting Proactive with Chaos Engineering, with Kolton Andrus
- Resilience Engineering Success at LinkedIn with Michael Kehoe
- Jet lag calling time on the night, and excitement for the road ahead
In the Heart of the Valley: Complexity and Disaster Recovery
- Commoditising Disaster Recovery
- “Faciliation of Experiments to Uncover Systemic Weaknesses”
- Getting Ethical in Chaos
- Bullfrogs and Hot Tubs
Technical Pit Stop: Rules of Chaos Club
- Rule 1: It’s about Learning, NOT harming
- Rule 2: Chaos is not a surprise
- Rule 3: If you know the outcome, don’t do the experiment
- This is just the beginning…
Time Travel and Chaos in Santa Monica
- Loving the Vibe at Carbon Five
- Capturing Time through Events to get Better Debuggability
- On to Vegas!
Technical Pit Stop: Chaos for the Business
- Engineering Out of Chaos
- Continuous, limited scope, disaster recovery
Las Vegas, No Stranger to Chaos
- Small Group, Big Hearts
- Breaking away to the Grand Canyon
That’s not a ride … THIS is a ride…
- Allan Stewart on Boundaries, DDD and Events
- Kolton and Lineage Driven Fault Injection
- Extending and comparing notes on Chaos Engineering Ethics
Technical Pit Stop: Let’s get Ethical… Chaos Ethical
- When arguments happen, look for the common ground
- The common ground: Skin in the Game
- Chaos Sadism
- Chaos Engineering Requires Collaboration (and something else…)
- Skin in the Game
- Next stop … Denver (Via Grand Junction)
- Part Three - Going Central, and South
Thrills, and spills, on the road to Denver
- John, the Enigma of the 7-Eleven
- Sand is not an acceptable surface for a fully loaded Harley, apparenty!
- Thunder and Dinner
- Listen to warnings!
- Apocalypse (S)now
- Relief comes easy
- Harley Brother-, and Sister-, hood to the rescue
- Downtown Denver: Books, Beauty and People
- Re-charged, and with a new-found “Respect for the Road”
Long & Boring… except when it’s not!
- Chaperoned by the Moon and Venus
- Long and Boring, except it when it isn’t!
- The end was a thing of beauty
- Texas in bloom
- Texas BBQ is the best Pick-Me-Up
Technical Pit Stop: The Anatomy of a Chaos Engineering Experiment
- Driving the Chaos Toolkit
- The Anatomy of a Chaos Toolkit Experiment
- Experiment Configuration and Secrets
- Defining a Steady-State Hypothesis
- Varying Real-World Events with an Experiment’s Method
- To Remediate or Not to Remediate?
Hot, Sweaty, and Mighty Fine
- Bridges and Bayous
- Relaxation and Contemplation
- Part Four - Heading North and East (again)
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Introductory Statistics with Randomization and SimulationMine Cetinkaya-Rundel, Christopher Barr, OpenIntro, and David Diez
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science, that introduces inference using randomization and simulation while covering traditional methods.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro, so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using our books in the classroom.
More resources: openintro.org.
Java OOP Done RightAlan Mellor
Object Oriented Programming is still a great way to create clean, maintainable code. But only if you use it right.
This book gives you 25 years of OO best practice, ready to use.
You'll learn to design objects behaviour-first, use TDD to help, then confidently apply Design Patterns, SOLID principles and Refactoring to make clean, crafted code.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Advanced Product Management
3 BooksGet The Art of Strategy, Product Discovery and Lean Product Management with a 20% discount.
C++17 in Detail and Lambda Story
2 BooksGet all of my books much cheaper! With this package, you'll learn the exciting things available in C++17 and also understand lambda expressions.