From Admin to DevOps
This book is 5% complete
Last updated on 2020-04-07
About the Book
DevOps. It's one of those buzzwords that everyone wants a part of. DevOps has transformed the way many organizations build and deliver software to customers. It can help you too!
When you say 'DevOps', you can't get away from cloud computing. The cloud model natively adheres to many DevOps philosophies. Microsoft has built a cloud in Azure that rivals the biggest player in the cloud game (AWS). But many new to the DevOps way of culture, thinking and tooling don't even know where to start. If this sounds familiar, this book is for you.
Is this book for you?
This book is for anyone in IT or software engineering that wants to learn more about DevOps and, specifically, how to follow DevOps practices in Azure. Whether you're a system administrator, engineer, developer or IT manager, this book will help you understand what it takes to deliver more value to customers with DevOps using Azure.
Learn how to use popular DevOps tools
The book is split into two parts, Tools and your DevOps journey. In Part I, you will learn, hands-on, how to get started with over a dozen popular tools to establish a strong DevOps presence in your organization. These tools include:
- Git and GitHub
- Azure Boards
- Azure Pipelines
- ...and more!
Each chapter in Part I will provide an excellent understanding of each tool and also how to use it by building a real project. Part I chapters will prepare you for what's to come in Part II.
Build a real project the DevOps way
Part II is where your DevOps journey begins. Part II is broken into milestones. This part assumes you're in your DevOps infancy and proceeds to teach you, hands-on, how to collaborate with others, build, deploy and eventually maintain a real-world application.
Part II is broken up into five primary milestones with various chapters based on a real project. Basing the entire journey from the eyes of a team and an example project, you will follow the progress of an organization to:
- Get buy-in from coworkers and management
- Implement continuous integration (CI) with GitHub and Azure DevOps
- Implement continuous delivery/deployment (CD) with ARM templates, Terraform and Azure Virtual Machines
- Learn how to monitor Azure cloud infrastructure and application with Azure Monitor and Application Insights
- Take DevOps tooling to the next level with Docker, Kubernetes, and serverless technologies
By the time you're done working side-by-side on a real project with the authors in Part II, you will have the skills to be successful at any DevOps project in Azure.
Come with authors, Adam Bertram and Michael Levan, as they guide you through your next DevOps journey in Azure!
Team Package (10 Copies)
If you need to share this book with your team, receive ten copies at a 20% discount.
About the Book
- Book Outline
- Command Line Over the GUI
- Why Azure? Why aren’t you covering my tool?
- About the
- Your Organization
- Your Goals
Code Samples and Resources
- The Resources GitHub Repository
- The NoBSAzure GitHub Repository
- Part 1 - Introduction
Azure from the Command Line with Cloud Shell
- The Azure Cloud Shell
- The Azure CLI
- Azure PowerShell
- Visual Studio Code
- Azure Boards: The Basics
- Building and Organizing a Sprint
Git and GitHub
- How Git and GitHub Work Together
- Collaborating Outside of Your Team
- Branching Basics
- Merging Code
- Pull Requests
- Visual Studio Code (VS Code) + Git/GitHub
- Building Your First Collaborative GitHub Repository
- Azure Availability Sets
Infrastructure as Code
- Infrastructure as Code
Azure Resource Manager (ARM) Templates
- ARM Templates: Infrastructure as Code
- Deploying an Azure Virtual Machine (VM)
Azure Load Balancers
- The Basics of Azure Load Balancer
- Project Conclusion
- Azure Application Insights
- Azure Monitor
- Azure Pipelines
- The Docker Engine
- Docker Images
- What Docker Isn’t
- Deploying A .NET Core Container
- Part 2 - Introduction
- Milestone 1 - DevOps Capability and Documentation Assessment
- Milestone 2 - Continuous Integration
- Milestone 3 - Continuous Delivery/Deployment
- Milestone 4 - Monitoring
- Milestone 5 - Advanced DevOps
- Release Notes
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.