Workflow Upgrades for Crafting Rails Apps with Superhuman Speed
About the Book
100+ Workflow Upgrades. Each can be learned in as little as 5 minutes, but will save you hours over time.
- Learn novel solutions to common problems in Rails apps. From the database to the view and everything in between.
- Learn best practices for building out the frontend of your Rails application. We'll cover technologies like Sass, jQuery, Turbolinks and even React.
- You spend lots of time in the terminal, so make sure it's time well spent! Learn how to customize your terminal for optimal efficiency.
- Forget puts. Learn advanced bug squashing techniques to get to the root of the problem quickly and get on with your day.
- Since Git is key part of nearly all Rails developers' workflows, we'll cover some advanced time-saving techniques that will make working with Git a breeze.
- Writing tests for your Rails app is essential, but the process is far from painless. Learn how to get the most out of tools like RSpec, Factory Girl, Capybara and more.
WHAT EXACTLY IS A WORKFLOW UPGRADE?
A Workflow Upgrade is a way to do something you're already doing, but better. Usually, faster and with fewer steps. These upgrades will make you look feel like a superhero when that person looking over your shoulder asks "how did you do that?!"
Want a Sample Chapter?
Read a chapter for free at EfficientRails.com!
Loving the book. So cool, and really love the structure. I can't stop reading it and trying it in my terminal.
Great book - a ton of value here and clear, concise writing.
Are you a Developer? Buy this book and you will thank me forever. So much good stuff!
Part I: The Tools
Chapter 1: The Terminal
- A Better Terminal
- Oh My Zsh
- Global Aliases
- Command Auto Completion
- Autocomplete Git Branches
- Aliases for Common Rails Commands
- Binstubs > Bundle Exec
- Keep your Todo List in Rails
- HTTPie > Curl
- HTTPie Authenticated Routes
Chapter 2: Git
- Git Flow
- Git + Hub
- Better Branch View
- Toggle Branches
- Don’t Use ‘git add .’
- Prune Merged Branches
- Where did it all go wrong?
- Ignore Whitespace
- Change the Root of a Branch
Chapter 3: Rails Console
- Setting up the Console
- Save Frequently Used Commands
- Inspecting ActiveRecord Collections
- Re-Execute Commands
- Change Rails Environments
- Ignore Sluggish Output
- Don’t wear out the Backspace Key
- Reloading Models After Changing Them
- Forgot to Save That
- Call Private & Protected Methods
- Pasting Multi-line Code into the Console
- Chapter 1: The Terminal
Part II: The Code
Chapter 4: Models
- Enforcing Organized Models
- Eager Loading
- Detect N+1 Queries
- Ensuring Referential Integrity
- Creating Relationships in Migrations
- Adding Missing Foreign Keys
- Preventing Missing Keys in the Future
- Auditing User Activity
- Counter Cache
- Bulk Imports
- Thinking outside the Model
Chapter 5: Controllers
- Improving the Default Flash Messages
- DRY up Flash Messages
- Don’t Reveal Your IDs
- Scope Resources by User
- Easy Filtering
- Go Back
- Static Pages
Chapter 6: Views
- ActiveRecord as an I18n Backend
- Rendering Raw HTML
- Instance Variables are the Worst
- Components and View Models
- ERB Alternatives
Chapter 7: Assets
- Noisy Assets in Development
- Stop Writing Vendor Prefixes
- Turbolinks is Not a Dirty Word
- Making Turbolinks Play Nice with jQuery
- Asynchronous Actions
- Managing Complex State Updates
Chapter 8: Mailers
- Tidying up Mailer Views
- Ensure Test Emails Never Get Sent to Real Users
- Validating Email Addresses
- Chapter 4: Models
Part III: The Techniques
Chapter 9: Testing
- Fail Fast
- Use a Better Formatter
- Only Failures
- Tagging Specs
- Retrying Tests
- Measuring Test Coverage
- Writing Specs the ‘Right’ Way
- Should (Not)
- Random Test Order
- Testing with a Clean Slate
- Mark tests as pending
- Testing Time-Dependent Logic
- Working with a Time-Dependent Codebase
- Speed Up the Test Suite
Chapter 10: Debugging
- Inspecting Ruby Code at Runtime
- Walking up the Call Stack with Pry
- Stepping Forward in Time with Pry
- Stepping Shortcuts for Pry/Byebug
- Exploring Objects, Methods and Variables with Pry
- Debugging a Different Method
- Help I’m Stuck in Pry Loop Hell!
- Controlling When Pry Fires
- Detailed Error Backtraces in Pry
- Making the Best of a Bad Situation
- Debugging APIs and Network Requests
- Testing an API from a Real Device
- jQuery in the Developer Tools
- Don’t Let Debugging Statements Slip into Production
- Chapter 9: Testing
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
CCIE Service Provider Version 4 Written and Lab Exam Comprehensive GuideNicholas Russo
The service provider landscape has changed rapidly over the past several years. Networking vendors are continuing to propose new standards, techniques, and procedures for overcoming new challenges while concurrently reducing costs and delivering new services. Cisco has recently updated the CCIE Service Provider track to reflect these changes; this book represents the author's personal journey in achieving that certification.
CCIE SP v4.1 - WorkbookŁukasz Bromirski, Piotr Jablonski, and Nicholas Russo
Are you striving to prepare to and pass CCIE SP lab exam? Take the opportunity and get this workbook! With the attached initial cfg files you will prepare yourself for the CCIE SP exam as well as learn SP technologies applicable to all kinds of today modern networks! This workbook covers blueprint topics and provides challenging examples.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Code Faster in DelphiAlister Christie
This book will make you a faster Delphi developer, it doesn't matter if you are just starting out, or have been using Delphi since version 1, you will find all sorts of tips, tricks and hacks to boost your productivity.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
11 BooksThe Quality Software Bundle is for managers, would-be managers, and any of us who find themselves being managed and confused. This comprehensive bundle covers the entire span of software development approaches, from hacking through waterfall, cascade, prototyping, Iterative enhancement, reusable code, off-the-shelf, to Agile teams. The bundle...
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Complete Scala Bundle
3 BooksScala is a general-purpose programming language and it's getting extremely popular these days. Some say that learning Scala could be a challenging task. My experience, however, suggests that this is actually a myth that has very little to do with reality. With the right approach, learning Scala can be easy, fun and rewarding.The first book from...
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...