Workflow Upgrades for Crafting Rails Apps with Superhuman Speed
About the Book
100+ Workflow Upgrades. Each can be learned in as little as 5 minutes, but will save you hours over time.
- Learn novel solutions to common problems in Rails apps. From the database to the view and everything in between.
- Learn best practices for building out the frontend of your Rails application. We'll cover technologies like Sass, jQuery, Turbolinks and even React.
- You spend lots of time in the terminal, so make sure it's time well spent! Learn how to customize your terminal for optimal efficiency.
- Forget puts. Learn advanced bug squashing techniques to get to the root of the problem quickly and get on with your day.
- Since Git is key part of nearly all Rails developers' workflows, we'll cover some advanced time-saving techniques that will make working with Git a breeze.
- Writing tests for your Rails app is essential, but the process is far from painless. Learn how to get the most out of tools like RSpec, Factory Girl, Capybara and more.
WHAT EXACTLY IS A WORKFLOW UPGRADE?
A Workflow Upgrade is a way to do something you're already doing, but better. Usually, faster and with fewer steps. These upgrades will make you look feel like a superhero when that person looking over your shoulder asks "how did you do that?!"
Want a Sample Chapter?
Read a chapter for free at EfficientRails.com!
Loving the book. So cool, and really love the structure. I can't stop reading it and trying it in my terminal.
Great book - a ton of value here and clear, concise writing.
Are you a Developer? Buy this book and you will thank me forever. So much good stuff!
Part I: The Tools
Chapter 1: The Terminal
- A Better Terminal
- Oh My Zsh
- Global Aliases
- Command Auto Completion
- Autocomplete Git Branches
- Aliases for Common Rails Commands
- Binstubs > Bundle Exec
- Keep your Todo List in Rails
- HTTPie > Curl
- HTTPie Authenticated Routes
Chapter 2: Git
- Git Flow
- Git + Hub
- Better Branch View
- Toggle Branches
- Don’t Use ‘git add .’
- Prune Merged Branches
- Where did it all go wrong?
- Ignore Whitespace
- Change the Root of a Branch
Chapter 3: Rails Console
- Setting up the Console
- Save Frequently Used Commands
- Inspecting ActiveRecord Collections
- Re-Execute Commands
- Change Rails Environments
- Ignore Sluggish Output
- Don’t wear out the Backspace Key
- Reloading Models After Changing Them
- Forgot to Save That
- Call Private & Protected Methods
- Pasting Multi-line Code into the Console
- Chapter 1: The Terminal
Part II: The Code
Chapter 4: Models
- Enforcing Organized Models
- Eager Loading
- Detect N+1 Queries
- Ensuring Referential Integrity
- Creating Relationships in Migrations
- Adding Missing Foreign Keys
- Preventing Missing Keys in the Future
- Auditing User Activity
- Counter Cache
- Bulk Imports
- Thinking outside the Model
Chapter 5: Controllers
- Improving the Default Flash Messages
- DRY up Flash Messages
- Don’t Reveal Your IDs
- Scope Resources by User
- Easy Filtering
- Go Back
- Static Pages
Chapter 6: Views
- ActiveRecord as an I18n Backend
- Rendering Raw HTML
- Instance Variables are the Worst
- Components and View Models
- ERB Alternatives
Chapter 7: Assets
- Noisy Assets in Development
- Stop Writing Vendor Prefixes
- Turbolinks is Not a Dirty Word
- Making Turbolinks Play Nice with jQuery
- Asynchronous Actions
- Managing Complex State Updates
Chapter 8: Mailers
- Tidying up Mailer Views
- Ensure Test Emails Never Get Sent to Real Users
- Validating Email Addresses
- Chapter 4: Models
Part III: The Techniques
Chapter 9: Testing
- Fail Fast
- Use a Better Formatter
- Only Failures
- Tagging Specs
- Retrying Tests
- Measuring Test Coverage
- Writing Specs the ‘Right’ Way
- Should (Not)
- Random Test Order
- Testing with a Clean Slate
- Mark tests as pending
- Testing Time-Dependent Logic
- Working with a Time-Dependent Codebase
- Speed Up the Test Suite
Chapter 10: Debugging
- Inspecting Ruby Code at Runtime
- Walking up the Call Stack with Pry
- Stepping Forward in Time with Pry
- Stepping Shortcuts for Pry/Byebug
- Exploring Objects, Methods and Variables with Pry
- Debugging a Different Method
- Help I’m Stuck in Pry Loop Hell!
- Controlling When Pry Fires
- Detailed Error Backtraces in Pry
- Making the Best of a Bad Situation
- Debugging APIs and Network Requests
- Testing an API from a Real Device
- jQuery in the Developer Tools
- Don’t Let Debugging Statements Slip into Production
- Chapter 9: Testing
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Digital-First EventsJoep Piscaer and Jana Boruta
The only resource you will ever need to launch your digital events program.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
Sockets and PipesType Classes
Sockets and Pipes is not an introduction to Haskell; it is an introduction to writing software in Haskell. Using a handful of everyday Haskell libraries, this book walks through reading the HTTP specification and implementing it to create a web server.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud can transform your organization, but it shouldn’t be driven by wishes. This book tells you how to develop a sound strategy guided by frameworks and decision models without being overly abstract nor getting lost in product details.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
3 BooksBuy every PowerShell book from Adam Bertram at a 20% discount!
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...