Deploy Rails BlueBook 2014 Edition
Deploy Rails BlueBook 2014 Edition
A Quick Start, Best Practices Guide to Deploy Rails Automatically with Chef Solo!
About the Book
- Have you ever wanted know how to automate your tedious server setup?
- Want to deploy from Github without sharing your password?
- Want to use PostgreSQL, but the instructions make no sense?
Grab this book today and get a fully tested and documented, modern Rails stack in an easy to understand format. Spend less time looking up error messages and more time coding! This book covers Ubuntu 12.04, Ruby 1.9.3, PostgreSQL, Passenger and deploying from Github.
The first part covers manual setup and the second shows how to automate the manual steps with Chef. A few choice features that will save you alot of time and frustration.
- Using Knife solo with Chef to deploy by IP address, without needing a separate Chef server (or Puppetmaster)
- Fetching your Rails app from Github.- Using the figaro gem to keep your passwords and other information outside your git repo.
- Setting up PostgreSQL on a local machine manually and later automating.
- A guide to using Vagrant to setup a local development machine with a few simple commands.- Automating everything with Chef, as it should be!
Who is this book for?This book is for those who have written a Rails app and have never deployed to a public server before. Or perhaps you have deployed and you want to know how to automate it. I cover Rails 3.2 with Ruby 1.9.3, Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, PostgreSQL and Nginx with Passenger. I assume some background with Ubuntu and Rails.
I Part 1: Manual Deploy
- 1. Choose a VPS and Domain Registar
- 2. Setup a VPS Manually
- 3. Setup the Web Server Manually
- 4. Secure the Deployed Server
- 5. Setup the Database
II Part 2: Automatic Deploy
6. Introducing Chef
- 6.1 Terminology
- 6.2 Password-less Login
- 6.3 Install Chef
- 6.4 Your First Cookout!
7. Writing a Production Recipe
- 7.1 Breakup your Recipe
- 7.2 Install Ruby
- 7.3 Install the Web Server and Rails
- 7.4 Install the Database
- 7.5 Deploy your_rails_app the Simple Way
- 7.6 Deploy your_rails_app the Mina Way
- Books by John B. Wyatt IV
- Appendix - Vagrant
Appendix - FAQ / Troubleshooting
- RVM autolibs error
- Knife complains about a private key
- Password to user is not being set correctly by Chef
- Server not responding / Nginx doesn’t seem to be running
- Nginx gives 404 Not Found error, the app folder was copied and the nginx webroot was setup
- Passenger gives error: Ruby (Rack) application could not be started
- production.log complains about not being able to find the sales table
- Nginx restart doesn’t seem to start nginx when a fixed error caused it to not start.
- Host key mismatch
- Mina reports a bad password.
- Appendix - Common Commands
- Appendix - Changelog
- How to Contact Me
- 6. Introducing Chef
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Defending your civil liberties in a digital world.https://www.eff.org/
Based in San Francisco, EFF is a donor-supported membership organization working to protect fundamental rights regardless of technology.
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.