Email the Author
You can use this page to email John B. Wyatt IV about Deploy Rails BlueBook 2014 Edition.
About the Book
- Have you ever wanted know how to automate your tedious server setup?
- Want to deploy from Github without sharing your password?
- Want to use PostgreSQL, but the instructions make no sense?
Grab this book today and get a fully tested and documented, modern Rails stack in an easy to understand format. Spend less time looking up error messages and more time coding! This book covers Ubuntu 12.04, Ruby 1.9.3, PostgreSQL, Passenger and deploying from Github.
The first part covers manual setup and the second shows how to automate the manual steps with Chef. A few choice features that will save you alot of time and frustration.
- Using Knife solo with Chef to deploy by IP address, without needing a separate Chef server (or Puppetmaster)
- Fetching your Rails app from Github.- Using the figaro gem to keep your passwords and other information outside your git repo.
- Setting up PostgreSQL on a local machine manually and later automating.
- A guide to using Vagrant to setup a local development machine with a few simple commands.- Automating everything with Chef, as it should be!
Who is this book for?This book is for those who have written a Rails app and have never deployed to a public server before. Or perhaps you have deployed and you want to know how to automate it. I cover Rails 3.2 with Ruby 1.9.3, Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, PostgreSQL and Nginx with Passenger. I assume some background with Ubuntu and Rails.
About the Author
John B. Wyatt IV is a newly graduated computer science and engineering student from the University of California, Merced. He is the owner of WyattTechCourses.com, an open source training company. WyattTechCourses offers training in LAMP, Ubuntu and Chef. Feel free to leave us a message if you are interested in a certain technology.