Email the Author
You can use this page to email Luke Szyrmer about Debugging Velocity.
About the Book
When building a new product, there is a lot of uncertainty and a lot of pressure. Even in a larger company, where resources are theoretically unlimited, you have top-notch teams, and deep industry expertise, delivering new products requires a mix of numerical finesse in addition to team wrangling.
There’s many It’s possible to over- or under-resource teams, screw up scope with inconsistent expectations, or have unclear outcomes beyond making the new product a big success. Good starting point. But doesn’t make it clear what to do on a day-to-day basis.
This book covers velocity in significant detail using lots of real-world examples, case studies, and specific problems resolved using this framework. In addition, you will discover:
- Why your ability to release new products quickly as a company is a “do or die” factor in your company’s success
- How it’s possible for time passing to work to your benefit, rather than being something that holds you back
- How to figure out if your company’s systemic factors are slowing you down, and why this matters
- Why realized velocity lies at the root of hitting your team’s target dates
- How to approach debugging a team’s velocity, as it is a lagging metric by design
- Why progress relative to a direction matters with new products, as we should expect the milestones to shift many times on successful new products
- Why over-focusing on velocity can slow your team down, and what to do instead
About the Author
Luke has managed or participated in remote software work teams for almost a decade. Most recently, he lead a program of approximately 30 distributed across 13 time zones and 8 different locations. Previously, he led a couple of small and mid-sized software development efforts at a mid-sized software house. He enjoys writing on codeproject.com, dzone, and also speaking at conferences like Agile on the Beach, in order to help others by distilling key insights from experience to their essence.