Pro CSS Bundle
Pro CSS Bundle
About the Bundle
Plenty of books can tell you how to write CSS, few can tell you how to architect and optimise it. The Pro CSS bundle is made up of two established Leanpub titles, CSS Optimization Basics and Enduring CSS.
Between them you will learn about how you can architect your style sheets for the long term good of your projects as well as how you can optimize and deliver them as a key asset of your front-end bundle.
Architect and maintain large-scale CSS codebases
This is a book to deal with writing CSS for large-scale, rapidly changing web projects and applications.
This isn't actually a book about writing CSS, as in the stuff inside the curly braces. It's a book about the organisation and architecture of CSS; the parts outside the braces. It's the considerations that can be happily ignored on smaller projects but actually become the most difficult part of writing CSS in larger projects.
Here are some of the topics covered in the book:
- The problems of CSS at scale: specificity, the cascade and styles intrinsically tied to element structure.
- The shortfalls of conventional approaches to scaling CSS.
- The ECSS methodology and the problems it solves.
- How to develop consistent and enforceable selector naming conventions with ECSS.
- How to organise project structure to more easily isolate and decouple visual components.
- How to handle state changes in the DOM with ARIA or override selectors.
- How to apply ECSS to web applications and visual modules.
- Considerations of CSS tooling and processing: Sass/PostCSS and linting.
- Addressing the practicalities of using potentially problematic HTML elements.
- Addressing the notion of CSS selector speed with hard data and browser representative insight.
2 reader testimonials
CSS Optimization Basics
CSS Optimization Basics is an introduction into quality CSS written by former Google tech lead and O’Reilly author Jens Oliver Meiert. The book discusses the mindsets needed for writing effective style sheets, covers optimization during operation and for production, and lists resources that further aid and inform the well-rounded web developer’s work with CSS.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.