Agile Coaching Collection
Agile Coaching Collection
About the Bundle
This bundle contains two great resources for Agile Coaching.
- My Extraordinarily Badass Agile Coaching (EBAC) book, and
- My Agile Reflections for Agile Coaches and Coaching book
The EBAC book is a comprehensive guide to agile coaching. The Agile Reflections book is a collection of over 100 blog articles I've written about the art, craft, and profession of Agile Coaching.
Both of them together provide an incredible resource to guide your learning, development, and growth as a Badass Agile Coach.
Extraordinarily Badass Agile Coaching
The Journey from Beginner to Mastery and Beyond
About the Book
The profession of Agile Coaching is, in a word, confusing. That’s because of a number of factors, including:
- It gets conflated with Professional Coaching;
- There isn’t a standard or generally accepted model for what it is;
- Clients don’t understand it, so they often ask coaches to do things they shouldn’t be doing;
- There are a lot of specialized nuances around the various levels of coaching: Team, Enterprise or Organizational, Technical, and Leadership.
And because of this confusion, it’s created a space where nearly anyone can claim to be an Agile Coach with little experience and narrow skills. Resulting largely in mediocrity and negative impacts for our clients, who by the way, are counting on us for help.
Extraordinarily Badass Agile Coaching enters this space to help alleviate the confusion. It’s centered on the Agile Coaching Growth Wheel as the competency and skill model to baseline your coaching skills against. Its core goal is to “raise the bar” as to what excellent agile coaching looks like. I intentionally use the term Badass to create a vision of professionalism, craft, passion, accountability, and expertise that you need to bring to bear in service of your clients if you represent yourself as an “agile coach”.
The book is strongly aligned with the Agile Coaching Growth Wheel as its primary model or framework. The key coaching stances (competencies) within the model include:
- Advising (Consulting)
- Guiding Learning (Mentoring & Teaching)
It also includes Self-Mastery at its core and Agile/Lean Practitioner, Serving, and Transforming as addition competencies.
Other key concepts include the Arc of a Coaching Conversation, Dojos for practice, Self-awareness, Continuous Reflection, Ethics and Agreements, and the Agile Coaching Mindset.
Table of Contents
1 Introduction to Badassery in Agile Coaching
Section I Agile Coaching Basics 17
2 The Mindset of the Badass Agile Coach 19
3 Agile Coaching Frameworks 35
4 Badass Agile Coaching Agreements 51
5 The Badass Agile Coaching Arc 71
6 The Badass Agile Coaching Operating System 89
Section II Agile Coaching Models and Practice 107
7 The Agile Coaching Growth Wheel 109
8 An Agile Coaching Story, Part 1 129
9 An Agile Coaching Story, Part 2 151
10 Badass Metaskills for the Agile Coaching Growth Wheel 181
11 The Badass Agile Coach’s Guide to Coaching UP 195
Section III Nuanced Agile Coaching 217
12 Badass Agile Coaching in the Language of the Client 219
13 Badass Pair-Coaching 231
14 Badass Role-Based Coaching 243
15 Badass Context-Based Coaching 263
16 Situational Awareness as a Badass Agile Coach 277
Section IV Continuous Learning 293
17 The Badass Agile Coach’s Guide to Starting Your Day 295
18 Dojo Practice for the Badass Agile Coach 309
19 Setting Up a Badass Agile Coaching Community of Practice 321
20 Sharpening Your Badass Saw 331
About the Author 349
I took a slightly different approach with the EBAC book by inviting a handful of content contributors to share their thoughts in 6 chapters. I also some wonderful folks help with editing, artwork, and writing some very kind forewards. Here’s the team I'm incredibly grateful to.
- Kimberly Andrikaitis (figures), I asked Kim to help me with PowerPointing all (most) of the figures used in the book. She did a great job helping me consolidate them from multiple sources and achieving consistency.
- DeAnna Burghart (editor, formatting, indexing), what can I say about DeAnna? I’ve been fortunate to have her help in several of my previous book projects. And, to be honest, I couldn’t think of another editing partner I would rather work with.
- Paddy Corry (Foreward), I met Paddy through his leadership in a Dublin-based agile group, where he helped me practice some of the books’ techniques. He was then kind enough to serve as a review and provide one of the forewords. I wanted them to be written by coaching practitioners (not consultants) and Paddy is indeed that.
- Jennifer Fields (Chapters 14-15), I wanted to invite a pragmatic coach to share their experience and stories in the book. Someone who was “no-nonsense” but also compassionate. I could think of nobody better than Jen to share her in-the-trenches experience and she didn’t disappoint.
- Don MacIntyre (Foreword), Don is someone that I deeply respect as an enterprise-level agile coach. He’s also held senior leadership positions and his experience largely mirrors my own. I was delighted when he agreed to write a forward.
- Rhiannon Galen-Personick (Chapter 16), when I envision this chapter, there was nobody, virtually nobody, that I’d rather have writing it than my daughter Rhiannon. That being said, this is probably the hardest chapter to write because of the requisite care and nuance. I’m proud of what she contributed.
- Mark Summers (Chapters 7-9), it was a no-brainer to ask Mark to contribute the core chapters on the Agile Coaching Growth Wheel because of his ongoing community involvement with its evolution. I was incredibly happy that he accepted and the book is so much better because of it.
- Stuart Young (sketchnotes), I met Stuart at a local agile coaching retreat here in Chapel Hill ~2016. We invited him from the UK to provide sketchnotes for the event. And I was amazed at his ability to capture the energy in his work. When I envisioned the book, I thought of providing sketches as a way of amplifying the themes and Stuart has done an incredible job of doing just that.
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $13 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.