Building Virtual Machine Labs
Last updated on 2017-10-18
About the Book
Virtualization is a skill that most IT or security pros take for granted. The sheer number of choices and requirements can be a daunting challenge to face for beginners and veterans alike.
With this book, you'll learn how to build a robust, customizable virtual environment suitable for either a personal home lab, as well or a dedicated, shared lab environment. You will learn how to:
- Understand the mechanics of virtualization and how they influence the design of your lab
- Build an extensive baseline lab environment on any one of five commonly used hypervisors (VMware vSphere Hypervisor, VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation, Oracle Virtualbox, and Microsoft Client Hyper-V)
- Harden your lab environment against VM escapes and other security threats
- Configure the pfSense firewall distribution to provide security, segmentation, and network services to your virtual lab
- Deploy either Snort or Suricata open-source IDS platforms in IPS mode to further enhance the flexibility, segmentation and security of your lab network
- Deploy Splunk as a log management solution for your lab
- Reconfigure the provided baseline lab environment to better suit your individual needs
Easy to follow steps and illustrations throughout the book provide detailed, comprehensive guidance as you build your custom-tailored lab. Both IT and security professionals need practice environments to better hone their craft. Learn how to build and maintain your own today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...