About the Book
Note: There is an updated version of this book, completely re-written and updated. Go here: https://leanpub.com/avatar2
Virtualization is a skill that most IT or security pros take for granted. The sheer number of choices and requirements can be a daunting challenge to face for beginners and veterans alike.
With this book, you'll learn how to build a robust, customizable virtual environment suitable for either a personal home lab, as well or a dedicated, shared lab environment. You will learn how to:
- Understand the mechanics of virtualization and how they influence the design of your lab
- Build an extensive baseline lab environment on any one of five commonly used hypervisors (VMware vSphere Hypervisor, VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation, Oracle Virtualbox, and Microsoft Client Hyper-V)
- Harden your lab environment against VM escapes and other security threats
- Configure the pfSense firewall distribution to provide security, segmentation, and network services to your virtual lab
- Deploy either Snort or Suricata open-source IDS platforms in IPS mode to further enhance the flexibility, segmentation and security of your lab network
- Deploy Splunk as a log management solution for your lab
- Reconfigure the provided baseline lab environment to better suit your individual needs
Easy to follow steps and illustrations throughout the book provide detailed, comprehensive guidance as you build your custom-tailored lab. Both IT and security professionals need practice environments to better hone their craft. Learn how to build and maintain your own today!
About the Author
Tony Robinson is Security Engineer working for a midwestern MSSP. He has approximately 10 years of general experience in Systems Administration and Information Security roles, with his specialties being Network Security Monitoring, Threat Intelligence, and Malware Analysis
When he is not working, he can be found admiring good sushi, good mead, and fun video games.