Automation and Monitoring with Hubot
Last updated on 2014-09-29
About the Book
DISCLAIMER: The book was written in end of 2014 and has not been updated since. Hubot has evolved, and example code may no longer be valid. However, the book still contains plenty of generic techniques that can be applied to newer versions of Hubot, also Slackbot, and any other chatbot tech.
This book covers everything you need to start using Hubot in your organization - installation on Linux, production grade deployment and init.d scripts. You will understand how Hubot scripts work, how to deal with dependencies, how to install new scripts and adjust them to suit your needs.
You will also learn to write and debug your own scripts, ranging from simple ones with just a few lines of code, to advanced ones that integrate several systems together.
There is a whole chapter for those who use GitHub - Hubot can do many wonderful things using GitHub API and web hooks. The book will show you ways to automate your infrastructure tasks and deployments using Jenkins, ways to integrate with numerous systems and services.
This knowledge was extracted from real world use and compacted into a single book. You can use it as a cookbook and pick just the things you need, or you can read it cover to cover and learn everything you can about using Hubot to full extent.
- A Word From The Author
Run, Hubot, Run!
- The Operating System
- Installing Dependencies
- Installing Hubot
- Creating System User For Hubot
- Creating Your First Hubot
- Exploring Your Hubot Instance
- Choosing The Chat Service
Deploying Hubot To Production
- Creating Hubot Instance For Production
- Hubot And Source Control Management
- Checking Hubot Into Git
- Handling Environmental Variables
- Hubot As A Daemon
- Managing Hubots With Hubot Control
Using Hubot Scripts
- Getting Help
- Where To Find Scripts
- Enabling Bundled Scripts
- Installing Script Dependencies
- Installing Script Packages
- Configuring Scripts
- Uninstalling Scripts
- Hello, World!
- Basic Operations
- Reacting To Messages In Chatroom
- Reacting To Message Parts
- Capturing All Messages
- Capturing Unhandled Messages
- Serving HTTP Requests
- Cross Script Communication With Events
- Periodic Task Execution
- Debugging Your Scripts
- Advanced Debugging With Node Inspector
- Writing Unit Tests For Hubot Scripts
- Hubot Script Template
- Using Hubot Shell Adapter For Script Development
- Developing Scripts With Hubot Control
- Learning More
Roles And Authentication
- Setting Hubot Auth Admin
- Assigning Roles
- Applying Roles
Restricting Command Execution
- Restricting Execution To Certain Rooms
- Limiting Execution Hours
Monitoring With Hubot
- Hubot PubSub
- Alternative To Hubot PubSub
- Installing Hubot PubSub
- Subscribing To Event Notifications
- Publishing Events
- Using Event Namespaces For Advanced Message Routing
- Handling Unsubscribed Events
- Securing Hubot PubSub
- Publishing Events From Ruby
- What And When To Monitor
- Monitoring Error Rates With Graylog2 Alarms And Hubot PubSub
- Receiving Nagios Alerts
Graphing With Hubot
- Putting An End To GitHub Email Notifications
- Why Not Just Use GitHub Service Hooks?
- Creating Auth Tokens
- Creating GitHub API Hooks
- Listing And Deleting GitHub API Hooks
- Pull Requests
- Team Add
- Automatically Closing Old GitHub Issues
- Creating Web Hooks
- Merge Requests
Building And Deploying With Hubot And Jenkins
- Notifying About Broken Jenkins Builds
- Executing Jenkins Builds
- Passing Parameters To Jenkins Builds
- Deploying With Jenkins
Invoking Chef’s Knife With Hubot
- Configuring Knife
- Hubot Chef Script
- Advanced Hubot Chef Script
- Third Party Hubot Chef Scripts
- Hubot With Puppet, Ansible, Or Something Else
- There Are No Limits
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.