A Primer on Design Patterns
A Primer on Design Patterns
About the Book
The objective of the book is to introduce its reader to the world of design patterns by working through some important ones. It is not an exaustive reference text on design patterns, rather a friendly tutorial type text. The reader is expected to be familiar with programming in an object oriented language like Java or Python.
Table of Contents
- About the author
Introducing Design Patterns
- What are design patterns?
- History of design patterns
- The language choice
- Pattern abuse
- Inheritance might not be your best friend
- Composition as an alternative to inheritance
- What is the volatile part of your code?
- Implementing the strategy pattern
- Our strategy pattern implementation migrated to Python
- Permutations and combinations
- Decorating the same entity
- Using our decorators
- The decorator stripped to its core
- Enter the Abstract Base Class of Python
- The Limitations of Object Construction
- Enter the Simple Factory
- Factory Method
- Implementing the simple factory in Python
- Where does the Observer pattern fit?
- Implementing the Observer pattern in Python
- Java’s take on the Observer
- The built-in Observer implementation in Java
Template Method Pattern
- T’was a time of email clients
- The template method in Java
- The template method in Python
- Implementing singletons in Java
- Complications in a multi-threaded environment
- Implementing singletons in Python
- The problem with Singletons
- Further Reading
Other books by this author
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them