This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2019-02-18
About the Book
APPosite Concerns is a collection of essays about programming, about programmers, and about the software industry. Not many other books on programming connect object-oriented programming with Adam Smith, nor the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam with Angry Birds.
On Being a Programmer
- Why is Programming So Hard?
- The Principled Programmer
- Principled Lizards
- How I Got Root on my University’s UNIX Network
- On Mental Health
- Selectively Caring
- The Tankard Brigade
- Thoughts on Tech Conferences
- On Community
- Programming, Maths and the Other Things
- The Wealth of Applications
- …and in the end, there will be the command line.
Designing for Programmers
- Programming as a Societal Roadblock
- Intuitive is the Enemy of Good
- Standing at the Crossroads
- Culture, Heritage, and Apps
On Thinking about Programming
- On Internal Quality
- UIKonf 1995 Keynote : Object-Oriented Programming in Objective-C
- Inside-Out Apps
- Swift’s Gulliver
- The Death of Scripting
- Protocol-Oriented Programming in Objective-C
- Imperative Programming in Swift
- *-Oriented Programming
- How Much Programming Language is Enough?
- The Humpty-Dumpty Guide to Object-Oriented Programming
- How to Excel at IDE Design
- Set the Settings Set
- Criticising the Four Freedoms
- Open Source and the Lehrer-von Braun Defence
- The Lighter Side of Open Source
- On the Economics of Software Insecurity
- On Standards in Free Software Engineering
- Linus’s Bystanders
- Intellectual Property and Software: The Nuclear Option
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.