Building Adaptable Software with Microservices
About the Book
There's no reason to have an agile process if your software can't keep pace.
This book is a collection of patterns that you can apply to build software that thrives on change and the disorder it brings.
This book is broken into three books that deal with the key challenge of software development today, namely how your software adapts to keep pace with the speed of innovation.
This is currently an Alpha version of the book. It is under active development right now. Upgrades until the book is completed will of course be free!
Table of Contents
- Grabbing the Code
- Option 1: Browse the code on GitHub
- Option 2: Download the Code as Zip Files
- About The Author
- What this book is NOT about
- Philosophical Underpinnings
- What are we really dealing with, then?
- A Nod Towards Over-Production
- Book I - The Philosophy of Change in Software
The Parable of The Elephant in the Standup
- Grief, Anger, Disbelief…
- The Elephant in the Standup
- Everybody Lies
- Lie 1: It’s a Big Change really…
- Lie 2: The Extended-Holiday of ‘Refactoring’
- Refactoring should be Quick, Easy and Constant
- Lie 3: Sorry, you’re in Technical Debt…
- Technical Debt is for real
- The Elephant in the Standup is not Technical Debt, nor Refactoring
Software Architecture is Philosophy
- What is Software Architecture and Design?
- What is Philosophy?
- Software Architecture Abides
- Plato and the Waterfall
- Agility and Fortuna
- Architecture needs to embrace Fortuna
- Stressors on Software
Antifragility in Software
- Change, Adaption and Anti-fragility
- The Change Stressor and the Adaption Response
- Defining Antifragile Software Systems
- The Need for Antifragility in Software: Enabling Innovation
- Emergence and Antifragility
- Antifragility is in the Relationships
- Love is Antifragile, an interlude
- Relationships between Parts are the Key
Simplicity in Software, Defined
- Simplicity is Objective
- The Simplicity Continuum
- Essential & Accidental Complexity
- Why do we introduce accidental complexity?
- Simple Architecture & Design?
Microservice-based Architectures for Antifragility & Simplicity
- Embracing Change with Microservices
- Embracing or even Thriving on Change in the Links between Microservices
- Lies, Damned Lies, and Lies about Microservices
The Payback: Speed of Innovation
- What is innovation?
- Enabling Innovation
- Technical Innovation Stressors
- On the Origin of Services…
- Antifragile Systems of Microservices are an Engine for Innovation
- Remember & Apply
- Book II - Architecture, Design & Implementation for Antifragility
Skin in the Game
- Ethics: Do It, Risk It
- Show, Share, Make Mistakes, Learn and Improve
- On Being Critical
Fear, Loathing & Promise in Uncertainty-Ville
- Idea 1: An Open Cloud Index
- Phone, Or Have a Drink with, A Friend
- Ubiquitous Language & Domain Objects?
- The Ills of the Layered Architecture
- The Domain Objects at the Centre of the Universe Anti-Pattern
- Noone wants to change the Domain Objects…
- Promiscous and Incorrect Domain Objects and the Ripple Effect
- Not the Things, the Things that happen
- Events, a Better Ubiquitous Language
- Past, Unchangeable Facts
- Understanding Events - 90% Accountant, 10% Rock Star
- Event Streams
- Comprehending Event Streams with Projections & Aggregates
- Answering the Question with Views
- Fast and Slow Flows
- What no REST yet?
- Software Antifragility patterns with Stressors
Time … to Build
- The Problem of Belonging to Tomorrow
- Reducing the fear of Big Decisions
Eating an Elephant with the Life Preserver
- A Tale of Three Teams
- Back to “Skin in the Game”
- What is the right approach to building a system?
- The Process and Tool: The Life Preserver
- Doing O.R.E.: Organise, Reduce & Encapsulate
- The Life Preserver Process: Asking and Answering Questions
- Just Enough Design
- Where does my component go?
- What should my component do?
- Group Together that Change Together
- When should I split my component?
- Discover the Domain
- How should my Components Communicate? Design Events
- How should my Events be transmitted? Design Dispatch
- How should my Events be Encoded? Design Payload
- Thinking Stressors
- Creating Stressors
- Consider Circuit Breakers
- Consider Bulkheads
- 12-Factor Services?
- Consider Technologies Early
- Bounded Contexts, Boundaries & Fracture Lines with Tectonic Plates
- What ‘could’ change
- Naive is ok, at first
- Having a Conversation about Change
- Seeing Inter-Plate and -Component Communication
- Friction at the Fault Lines
- Focus on where the Friction is Greatest
- Testing your Inter-Plate Change Coupling
- The Dangers of Inappropriate Inter-Plate Intimacy
- Flows across the Life Preserver
- Continuous Refinement: Emergent Design
- Scaling Life Preservers
- Big Payback: Objectivitity
ManifestNO for Antifragile Software
- Change and Ossification
- Evil Manifestos of Years Past
- Why a Manifesto at all?
- Dodging the Bullet
- Why Microservices are not just SOA
- Remember & Apply
- Suggested Further Reading
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them