About the Book
Antifragile Software is now proudly donating 20% of its net proceeds to YoungMinds.org.uk
I'm very proud to announce that 20% of all net income from this book is now being donated to YoungMinds.org.uk.
In addition the minimum price for this book has been lowered in-line with the amount of the book currently written. The intention is to take the proceeds made so far and calculate how much should be donated to YoungMinds.org.uk as the difference between that which as been paid and the new minimum price. As the book is completed the minimum price will rise to the full book price, donating the 20% of the net at each price point to the charity.
There's no reason to have an agile process if your software can't keep pace.
This book is a collection of patterns that you can apply to build software that thrives on change and the disorder it brings.
This book is broken into three books that deal with the key challenge of software development today, namely how your software adapts to keep pace with the speed of innovation.
This book accompanies the "Building Microservices" course by Simplicity Itself at Skills Matter, currently running publicly in London.
This is currently an Alpha version of the book. It is under active development right now. Upgrades until the book is completed will of course be free!
Read more Read less
Table of Contents
- Why YoungMinds.org.uk?
- Grabbing the Code
- Option 1: Browse the code on GitHub
- Option 2: Download the Code as Zip Files
- About The Author
- About Simplicity Itself
- What this book is NOT about
- Philosophical Underpinnings
- What are we really dealing with, then?
- A Nod Towards Over-Production
- Book I - The Philosophy of Change in Software
The Parable of The Elephant in the Standup
- Grief, Anger, Disbelief…
- The Elephant in the Standup
- Everybody Lies
- Lie 1: It’s a Big Change really…
- Lie 2: The Extended-Holiday of ‘Refactoring’
- Refactoring should be Quick, Easy and Constant
- Lie 3: Sorry, you’re in Technical Debt…
- Technical Debt is for real
- The Elephant in the Standup is not Technical Debt, nor Refactoring
Software Architecture is Philosophy
- What is Software Architecture and Design?
- What is Philosophy?
- Software Architecture Abides
- Plato and the Waterfall
- Agility and Fortuna
- Architecture needs to embrace Fortuna
- Stressors on Software
Antifragility in Software
- Change, Adaption and Anti-fragility
- The Change Stressor and the Adaption Response
- Defining Antifragile Software Systems
- The Need for Antifragility in Software: Enabling Innovation
- Emergence and Antifragility
- Antifragility is in the Relationships
- Love is Antifragile, an interlude
- Relationships between Parts are the Key
Simplicity in Software, Defined
- Simplicity is Objective
- The Simplicity Continuum
- Essential & Accidental Complexity
- Why do we introduce accidental complexity?
- Simple Architecture & Design?
Microservice-based Architectures for Antifragility & Simplicity
- Embracing Change with Microservices
- Embracing or even Thriving on Change in the Links between Microservices
- Lies, Damned Lies, and Lies about Microservices
The Payback: Speed of Innovation
- What is innovation?
- Enabling Innovation
- Technical Innovation Stressors
- On the Origin of Services…
- Antifragile Systems of Microservices are an Engine for Innovation
- Remember & Apply
- Book II - Architecture, Design & Implementation for Antifragility
Skin in the Game
- Ethics: Do It, Risk It
- Show, Share, Make Mistakes, Learn and Improve
- On Being Critical
Fear, Loathing & Promise in Uncertainty-Ville
- Idea 1: An Open Cloud Index
- Phone, Or Have a Drink with, A Friend
- Ubiquitous Language & Domain Objects?
- The Ills of the Layered Architecture
- The Domain Objects at the Centre of the Universe Anti-Pattern
- Noone wants to change the Domain Objects…
- Promiscous and Incorrect Domain Objects and the Ripple Effect
- Not the Things, the Things that happen
- Events, a Better Ubiquitous Language
- Past, Unchangeable Facts
- Understanding Events - 90% Accountant, 10% Rock Star
- Event Streams
- Comprehending Event Streams with Projections & Aggregates
- Answering the Question with Views
- Fast and Slow Flows
- What no REST yet?
- Software Antifragility patterns with Stressors
Time … to Build
- The Problem of Belonging to Tomorrow
- Reducing the fear of Big Decisions
ManifestNO for Antifragile Software
- Change and Ossification
- Evil Manifestos of Years Past
- Why a Manifesto at all?
- Dodging the Bullet
- Why Microservices are not just SOA
- Remember & Apply
- Suggested Further Reading
Read More Read Less