Building Adaptable Software with Microservices
About the Book
There's no reason to have an agile process if your software can't keep pace.
This book is a collection of patterns that you can apply to build software that thrives on change and the disorder it brings.
This book is broken into three books that deal with the key challenge of software development today, namely how your software adapts to keep pace with the speed of innovation.
This is currently an Alpha version of the book. It is under active development right now. Upgrades until the book is completed will of course be free!
- Grabbing the Code
- Option 1: Browse the code on GitHub
- Option 2: Download the Code as Zip Files
- About The Author
- What this book is NOT about
- Philosophical Underpinnings
- What are we really dealing with, then?
- A Nod Towards Over-Production
- Book I - The Philosophy of Change in Software
The Parable of The Elephant in the Standup
- Grief, Anger, Disbelief…
- The Elephant in the Standup
- Everybody Lies
- Lie 1: It’s a Big Change really…
- Lie 2: The Extended-Holiday of ‘Refactoring’
- Refactoring should be Quick, Easy and Constant
- Lie 3: Sorry, you’re in Technical Debt…
- Technical Debt is for real
- The Elephant in the Standup is not Technical Debt, nor Refactoring
Software Architecture is Philosophy
- What is Software Architecture and Design?
- What is Philosophy?
- Software Architecture Abides
- Plato and the Waterfall
- Agility and Fortuna
- Architecture needs to embrace Fortuna
- Stressors on Software
Antifragility in Software
- Change, Adaption and Anti-fragility
- The Change Stressor and the Adaption Response
- Defining Antifragile Software Systems
- The Need for Antifragility in Software: Enabling Innovation
- Emergence and Antifragility
- Antifragility is in the Relationships
- Love is Antifragile, an interlude
- Relationships between Parts are the Key
Simplicity in Software, Defined
- Simplicity is Objective
- The Simplicity Continuum
- Essential & Accidental Complexity
- Why do we introduce accidental complexity?
- Simple Architecture & Design?
Microservice-based Architectures for Antifragility & Simplicity
- Embracing Change with Microservices
- Embracing or even Thriving on Change in the Links between Microservices
- Lies, Damned Lies, and Lies about Microservices
The Payback: Speed of Innovation
- What is innovation?
- Enabling Innovation
- Technical Innovation Stressors
- On the Origin of Services…
- Antifragile Systems of Microservices are an Engine for Innovation
- Remember & Apply
- Book II - Architecture, Design & Implementation for Antifragility
Skin in the Game
- Ethics: Do It, Risk It
- Show, Share, Make Mistakes, Learn and Improve
- On Being Critical
Fear, Loathing & Promise in Uncertainty-Ville
- Idea 1: An Open Cloud Index
- Phone, Or Have a Drink with, A Friend
- Ubiquitous Language & Domain Objects?
- The Ills of the Layered Architecture
- The Domain Objects at the Centre of the Universe Anti-Pattern
- Noone wants to change the Domain Objects…
- Promiscous and Incorrect Domain Objects and the Ripple Effect
- Not the Things, the Things that happen
- Events, a Better Ubiquitous Language
- Past, Unchangeable Facts
- Understanding Events - 90% Accountant, 10% Rock Star
- Event Streams
- Comprehending Event Streams with Projections & Aggregates
- Answering the Question with Views
- Fast and Slow Flows
- What no REST yet?
- Software Antifragility patterns with Stressors
Time … to Build
- The Problem of Belonging to Tomorrow
- Reducing the fear of Big Decisions
Eating an Elephant with the Life Preserver
- A Tale of Three Teams
- Back to “Skin in the Game”
- What is the right approach to building a system?
- The Process and Tool: The Life Preserver
- Doing O.R.E.: Organise, Reduce & Encapsulate
- The Life Preserver Process: Asking and Answering Questions
- Just Enough Design
- Where does my component go?
- What should my component do?
- Group Together that Change Together
- When should I split my component?
- Discover the Domain
- How should my Components Communicate? Design Events
- How should my Events be transmitted? Design Dispatch
- How should my Events be Encoded? Design Payload
- Thinking Stressors
- Creating Stressors
- Consider Circuit Breakers
- Consider Bulkheads
- 12-Factor Services?
- Consider Technologies Early
- Bounded Contexts, Boundaries & Fracture Lines with Tectonic Plates
- What ‘could’ change
- Naive is ok, at first
- Having a Conversation about Change
- Seeing Inter-Plate and -Component Communication
- Friction at the Fault Lines
- Focus on where the Friction is Greatest
- Testing your Inter-Plate Change Coupling
- The Dangers of Inappropriate Inter-Plate Intimacy
- Flows across the Life Preserver
- Continuous Refinement: Emergent Design
- Scaling Life Preservers
- Big Payback: Objectivitity
ManifestNO for Antifragile Software
- Change and Ossification
- Evil Manifestos of Years Past
- Why a Manifesto at all?
- Dodging the Bullet
- Why Microservices are not just SOA
- Remember & Apply
- Suggested Further Reading
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...