About the Book
Working with multibyte strings, Unicode, and UTF-8 can feel intimidating when writing PHP. Advanced PHP Strings: Text analysis, generation, and parsing via. Laravel offers a guided experience navigating the different techniques to properly work with and manage multibyte strings. The book also offers extensive discussions around the Laravel string helper methods to provide a familiar reference point while navigating the intricacies of string and text manipulation.
Through hundreds of hand-crafted examples and in-depth discussions, you will learn how to:
- Read and write multibyte strings using PHP
- Safely loop through the characters of a multibyte string
- Work with over sixty Laravel string helper methods and fluent strings
- Manage documents with a variety of different line-ending styles
- Convert string positions to line and column numbers (and back)
- And so much more
About the Author
My name is John Koster, and I have over fifteen years of professional software development. I've worked on a wide range of projects over the years, from simple websites and critical government reporting applications all the way to high-performance telematics solutions.
During my downtime, I enjoy working on open-source projects, writing posts on my blog, and contributing to the Laravel and Statamic ecosystems.
Some of the recent open-source projects I've worked on include:
- blade-parser-typescript - a Laravel Blade parser, formatter, reflection library, and linter, written in TypeScript
- Antlers Toolbox - a Visual Studio Code extension providing syntax highlighting, code auto-complete, intelligent refactoring, and project-aware assistance for Statamic developers
- Antlers Runtime - an advanced PHP templating engine for the Statamic CMS platform
- Proteus - a Laravel package that makes it simple to read, write, and modify Laravel configuration files from your application code
- Primitives - a PHP library that safely parses input strings into native PHP types (string, bool, arrays, etc.) and can optionally be configured with a sandbox for method evaluation