Actionable Gamification (Get the Book!)
Beyond Points, Badges, and Leaderboards
About the Book
"Yu-kai is at the cutting edge of the field of behavior design."
-Nir Eyal, Author of Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products.
This book is not about why gamification is amazing. It is not about how gamification is the future and how inspiring life could be with it. It is not necessarily for the late adopters who are simply curious about what gamification is. It also does not focus on what the gamification industry is doing as a whole, especially when that is continuously changing every month. Rather, this book is about *implementing good gamification design* into your products, workplace, and lifestyle.
It is a deep exploration into what makes a game fun and how to apply those fun and engaging elements in real-life productive activities. It is about how you can use gamification and scientifically proven methods to improve your company, your life, and the lives of those around you.
Effective gamification is a combination of game design, game dynamics, behavioral economics, motivational psychology, UX/UI (User Experience and User Interface), neurobiology, technology platforms, as well as ROI-driving business implementations. This book explores the interplay between these disciplines to capture the core principles that contribute to good gamification design. I will be sharing my observations in multiple industries and sectors based on my 12-year journey of passionately and relentlessly pursuing the craft of Gamification.
Chapters of this book tend to build on previous chapters, so skipping around is not suggested. That said, if you have been an avid reader of my work and viewer of my videos, you might already have a firm grasp of the 8 Core Drives within the Octalysis Framework. In that case, feel free to skip to a section that you want to hone in on.
If you are extremely busy (which chances are - you are) and aren't sure if you want to commit to this book, I recommend starting off with Chapters 3, 5, 10, 14, and 15 to decide whether you would like to read the entire book.
Within the book, there will be many every-day scenarios to illustrate the potential of these Core Drives and the flexibility of their applications beyond traditional “gamification” examples. I myself still constantly gain new insights and revelations when I reflect and speculate upon the various possibilities contained in the 8 Core Drives. I hope you do too.
As this book is titled “Actionable Gamification,” my goal for this book is to become a strategy guide to help my readers master the games that truly make a difference in their lives. If you absorb the contents of this book, you will have literally obtained what many companies pay tens of thousands of dollars to acquire.
My ultimate aim is to enable the widespread adoption of good gamification and *human-focused design* in all types of industries. I care deeply about creating a world that is sustainably more enjoyable and productive. In that world, there no longer will be a great divide between what people have to do and what they want to do - our lives become better as we spend time enjoying everything we do.
I'm excited for you to dive into the contents of this book so that we can start to build a world that harnesses the *power of play together*. Let's begin.
Yu-kai Chou (Written February 14th 2014)
“Yu-kai’s reputation precedes him in the field of gamification. His Octalysis framework is both elegantly simple and intricately complex. His book is not only extrinsically rewarding to read, but intrinsically motivating to apply; it’s wickedly effective, and yet divinely true. Octalysis brilliantly unified all these seemingly conflicting aspects of gamification into a single cohesive framework with a hidden twist in the middle of it—it’s sensational.”
-Michael Wu, Chief Scientist @ Lithium
SVP and CTO of Cisco DevNet at Cisco Systems
"I’ve been following Yu-kai’s work on gamification for years and have enjoyed his deep insights and actionable recommendations. Octalysis is a powerful and pragmatic framework to understand human nature and positive motivators that encourage people to do their best work. It should be required reading for anyone building, managing, or collaborating with a team, community, or ecosystem."
Partner and Executive Director at IDEO
"Yu-Kai’s Octalysis framework is a powerful addition to the tool kit of any creative professional. It provides a designer-friendly structure to connect information and insights with just the right amount of rigor to provoke fresh ideas."
Anthony Di Iorio
Co-Founder of Ethereum and CEO of Decentral
Yu-kai and his team are the masters of the gamification domain. The Octalysis framework is invaluable throughout our product launch process, from ideation, mockup, competition analysis to our user interface audit. We believe gamification will be at the forefront of many enterprise and B2C software and Octalysis is leading this movement. We would recommend them to anyone looking to gamify their product or service in a meaningful, engaging and fun way.
Chapter 1: When the Surreal Blends into our World
- How a Game changed my Life
- The First Game I Designed
- Why Gamification?
- Human-Focused Design: The Better Term for Gamification
- The Conquests of Gamification
Chapter 2: The PBL Fallacy
- A Story about Social Media
- An Obsession with Grunt Work
- Secondhand Sushi Making
- A Trojan Horse without Greek Soldiers
- The Threat and Opportunities in Gamification
- The Story of the Good Designer vs. Bad Designer
Chapter 3: The Octalysis Framework
- A Gamification Design Framework for Everyone
- The 8 Core Drives of Gamification
- Left Brain (Extrinsic Tendency) vs. Right Brain (Intrinsic Tendency) Drives
- White Hat vs Black Hat Gamification
- How to Apply Level 1 Octalysis to Actual Systems
- Quick Intro to Level II Octalysis and Beyond
Chapter 4: Putting Gamification in its Place
- The War on Words
- Semantics vs. Value
- Tomato: Fruit or Vegetable
- Explicit Gamification: Games that Fulfill Non-Game Purposes
- Implicit Gamification: Human-Focused Design that Utilizes Game Elements
- Implicit vs. Explicit Gamification
- 4 Application Fields of Gamification
Chapter 5: The First Core Drive - Epic Meaning & Calling
- The Core Drive High Above
- The Encyclopedia that Pwned Me
- Newton’s Legacy is Beyond a Fruit
- Mjolnir is Not Just a Tool
- Your Parents are Bigger Than You!
- Game Techniques within Epic Meaning & Calling
- Core Drive 1: The Bigger Picture
Chapter 6: The Second Core Drive - Development & Accomplishment
- Development & Accomplishment in Games
- The First Gamification Site that I was Addicted to
- “I overpaid for my product. Take that, suckas!”
- Never make Users Feel Dumb
- Star of Bethlehem - Guiding Users Forward
- Limitations of eBay’s Design
- Wait, that’s not new!
- Game Techniques within Development & Accomplishment
- Core Drive 2: The Bigger Picture
Chapter 7: The Third Core Drive - Empowerment of Creativity & Feedback
- The Computer Game that Became a National Sport
- Gamification Fatigue?
- The General’s Carrot in Education
- Folding into the Crowd
- The Elysian Stairs to Health
- Empowerment and Creativity in the Corporate Space
- Draw a Gun for Bad Endgame Design
- Game Techniques within Empowerment of Creativity & Feedback
- Core Drive 3: The Bigger Picture
Chapter 8: The Fourth Core Drive - Ownership & Possession
- Wait, it’s mine? Hold on, I do care then!
- Stamps of Sanity
- How Stoned Can You Be
- The First Virtual Pet Game
- The Endowment Effect
- Identity, Consistency, and Commitments
- Game Techniques within Ownership & Possession
- Core Drive 4: The Bigger Picture
Chapter 9: The Fifth Core Drive - Social Influence & Relatedness
- The Mentor that Stole My Life
- We’re all Pinocchios at Heart
- The Average Person is Above Average
- Social Influence vs. Epic Meaning within a Team
- Corporate Competition as an Oxymoron
- Game Techniques within Social Influence & Relatedness
- Core Drive 5: The Bigger Picture
Chapter 10: The Sixth Core Drive: Scarcity & Impatience
- The Lure of being Exclusively Pointless
- The Value of Rare Pixels
- The Leftovers aren’t all that’s Left Over
- Persuasively Inconvenient
- Curves are better than Cups in Economics
- “This guy’s not expensive enough.”
- “I Don’t Feel Good When My Pocket Is Too Full After A Purchase”
- Game Techniques within Scarcity & Impatience
- Great! So now what?
- Core Drive 6: The Bigger Picture
Chapter 11: The Seventh Core Drive - Unpredictability & Curiosity
- And, Now it’s Fun
- The Core Drive in a Skinner Box
- Sweepstakes and Raffles
- A Lucky Day with Lucky Diem
- Suspense and Mystery in a Blender
- Faking your Way to Virality
- Google’s Curious Second Button
- Woot! Creates Midnight Cinderella’s
- Game Techniques within Unpredictability & Curiosity
- Core Drive 7: The Bigger Picture
Chapter 12: The Eighth Core Drive - Loss & Avoidance
- Cropping your Losses
- Affection Held Hostage
- “Why don’t you take all my money?” in Poker
- The Good Chasing the Bad
- Zombies Make you Skinnier
- Flipping other Core Drives Off
- Ultimate Loss vs Executable Loss
- A Caveat: Avoiding the Avoidance
- Game Techniques in Loss and Avoidance
- Core Drive 8: The Big Picture
Chapter 13: Left Brain vs Right Brain Core Drives
- Using Octalysis in the Real World
- Left Brain vs. Right Brain Core Drives
- Extrinsic vs Intrinsic Motivation
- Slight Semantic Differences with the Self-Determination Theory
- Motivation Traps in Gamification Campaigns
- The Problem with Educational Systems
- Pay to Not Play
- How Market Settings Reverse Social Settings
- The Advantages of Extrinsic Motivation Design
- How to Make an Experience More Intrinsic
- Left Brain vs Right Brain Core Drives: the Bigger Picture
Chapter 14: The Mysteries of White Hat and Black Hat Gamification
- Origins of the Theory
- The Nature of White Hat vs Black Hat Core Drives
- Zynga and Black Hat Gamification
- Black Hat with a Clear Conscious
- Gamification, Manipulation, and Ethics
- When to Use White Hat Gamification Design
- Careful Transitioning between White Hat and Black Hat
- No Buyer’s Remorse from TOMS
- What about Core Drives 4 and 5?
Chapter 15: Understanding Other Gamification and Behavioral Frameworks with Octalysis
- Scientific Research and Game Studies
- Octalysis View of Self-Determination Theory
- Richard Bartle’s Four Player Types
- Nicole Lazzaro’s 4 Keys To Fun
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s Flow Theory
- Fogg Behavior Model
- Jane McGonigal’s Theories
- The World is Your Playground
Chapter 16: Level I Octalysis in Action
- Octalysis Review of Facebook
- The Score is a Smoke Screen
- Octalysis of the Speed Camera Lottery
- Octalysis of the Waze Navigation App
- The Endgame Phase of Waze
- The Next Step: Identify Potential Improvements for Waze
Chapter 17: Designing a project from scratch with Octalysis
- Redesigning Yukaichou.com
- The Octalysis Strategy Dashboard
- Level I Octalysis Ideation Process
- Core Drive 1: Epic Meaning & Calling
- Repeating the Octalysis Process
- Summary of Level 1 Octalysis in Action
- Chapter 18: The Journey Goes On
Wall of Gratitude
- Those who directly contributed to the book
- Those who impacted who I am today
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Jetpack Compose internalsJorge Castillo
Jetpack Compose is the future of Android UI. Master how it works internally and become a more efficient developer with it. You'll also find it valuable if you are not an Android dev. This book provides all the details to understand how the Compose compiler & runtime work, and how to create a client library using them.
Functional Programming Made EasierCharles Scalfani
A Functional Programming book from beginner to advanced without skipping a single step along the way.
In my 40 years of programming, I've felt that programming books always let me down, especially Functional Programming books. So, I wrote the book I wish I had 5 years ago.
Functional Programming will never be easy, but it can be easier.
Windows 11 Field GuideRafael Rivera and Paul Thurrott
The Windows 11 Field Guide is a full-length e-book about the latest version of Microsoft Windows, aimed at those users who will upgrade from Windows 10 or acquire Windows 11 with a new PC.
Mastering STM32 - Second EditionCarmine Noviello
With more than 1200 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the most complete guide around introducing the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL and STM32CubeIDE development environment.
Getting to Know IntelliJ IDEATrisha Gee and Helen Scott
If we treat our IDE as a text editor, we are doing ourselves a disservice. Using a combination of tutorials and a questions-and-answers approach, Getting to Know IntelliJ IDEA will help you find ways to use IntelliJ IDEA that enable you to work comfortably and productively as a professional developer.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C# for BabiesMaarten Balliauw, Khalid Abuhakmeh, and Arina Kovrizhkina
An illustrated book perfect for teaching your little ones the basics of the C# programming language!
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...#1
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Pattern-Oriented Memory Forensics and Malware Detection
2 BooksThis training bundle for security engineers and researchers, malware and memory forensics analysts includes two accelerated training courses for Windows memory dump analysis using WinDbg. It is also useful for technical support and escalation engineers who analyze memory dumps from complex software environments and need to check for possible...#3
Pattern-Oriented Memory Forensics and Malware Detection
2 BooksThis training bundle for security engineers and researchers, malware and memory forensics analysts includes two accelerated training courses for Windows memory dump analysis using WinDbg. It is also useful for technical support and escalation engineers who analyze memory dumps from complex software environments and need to check for possible...
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...#4
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Python Craftsman
3 BooksThe Python Craftsman series comprises The Python Apprentice, The Python Journeyman, and The Python Master. The first book is primarily suitable for programmers with some experience of programming in another language. If you don't have any experience with programming this book may be a bit daunting. You'll be learning not just a programming...#5
The Python Craftsman
3 BooksThe Python Craftsman series comprises The Python Apprentice, The Python Journeyman, and The Python Master. The first book is primarily suitable for programmers with some experience of programming in another language. If you don't have any experience with programming this book may be a bit daunting. You'll be learning not just a programming...
1500 QUIZ COMMENTATI (3 libri)
3 BooksTre libri dei QUIZ MMG Commentati al prezzo di DUE! I QUIZ dei concorsi ufficiali di Medicina Generale relativi agli anni: 2000-2001-2003-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021 +100 inediti Raccolti in unico bundle per aiutarvi nello studio e nella preparazione al concorso. All'interno di ogni libro i quiz sono stati suddivisi per...#6
1500 QUIZ COMMENTATI (3 libri)
3 BooksTre libri dei QUIZ MMG Commentati al prezzo di DUE! I QUIZ dei concorsi ufficiali di Medicina Generale relativi agli anni: 2000-2001-2003-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021 +100 inediti Raccolti in unico bundle per aiutarvi nello studio e nella preparazione al concorso. All'interno di ogni libro i quiz sono stati suddivisi per...
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...#7
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...
2 BooksBecome a real Haskell wizard with these two books! On the one hand, get your hands dirty with every major library in the ecosystem. On the other hand, climb the ivory tower and deepen your knowledge of monads.
Effective Kotlin bundle
2 BooksThe package of the most essential books for Kotlin developers, to become great developers. Effective Kotlin and Kotlin Coroutines by Marcin Moskała are both famous positions, well known and commonly recommended.