The Agile Coaching DNA
The Agile Coaching DNA
About the Book
This book is an evolutionary work to share ideas and experiences about practices and techniques to catalyse improvements, promote awareness, boost ownership, develop competencies and facilitate barrier removal during the journey of agile adoption. These elements are essential objectives and metaskills for change facilitators. In this book, I put together a set of useful concepts, techniques, stories and examples of how Agile Coaches can catalyse relevant transformation in the organisations.
Inspirational and essential
Inspirational and essential to everyone who wants to become better Agile Coaches.
A must-read book
The Agile Coaching DNA is a must-read book for everyone involved in Agile Transformations.
Thank you for inspiring me with Agile Coaching DNA
Great! Excellent book
Acabo de ler o excelente livro do @manoelp parabéns pelo trabalho, amigo
Useful for agilists and coaches.
- Version 7.1 (latest)
- Version 7.0
- Version 6.1
- Version 6.0
- Version 5.0
- Version 4.2
- Version 4.0
- Version 3.0
- Version 2.2
- Version 2.0
- Version 1.0
- Typical challenges during a change journey
Who are the clients of Agile Coaching
- Who is the client in Agile contexts?
- Coaching Agile teams requires an integral approach
- Why do we need Agile Coaches?
- You may not need Agile Coaches
- How to avoid fluffy approaches.
- Identifying a reasonable level of coachability
- Non-judgemental approach increases coachability
- The origin of this DNA
Introducing the DNA for Agile Coaching
- Catalyse Improvements
- Promote Awareness
- Boost Ownership
- Facilitate Barrier Removal
- Develop Competencies
- How to evolve with this DNA
- Examples of Agile Coaching activities based on this DNA
Practices to catalyse improvements
- Agile Coach as Change Facilitator
Strategies for change facilitation
- Reduce the friction in organisational changes
- GROWing improvements
Ingredients to catalyse organisational improvement
- Change management vs change facilitation
- What are the most important ingredients for change?
Extracting a metamodel of ingredients to change
- Clarity and responsibility about why change is necessary
- Desire to collaborate on the change journey
- Low organisational friction and high safety to explore new things
- A continuous review cycle covering all the listed ingredients
- A brief story about this ingredient metamodel
- Takeaway from the ingredients to catalyse improvements
Practices to promote awareness
- Key enablers for awareness
Driving people’s attention to actionable areas
A few more ideas to increase awareness
- Identity the sources of dissatisfaction using STATIK
- Be aware of interruptions
- Several things I think that help promote awareness
- Visual Thinking
- System thinking to promote awareness
- Takeaway regarding the practices to promote awareness
Agile Coaching supported by a data-informed culture
- Why are metrics important?
- Gathering data to feed good retrospectives
A few examples of actionable metrics
- Lead Time
- Flow Efficiency
- Health Checks
- Measure outcomes, not a particular practice or technique
- Team Agility Health Check
- Organisational Agility Health Check
- Business Measurements - Focus on the direction, not only on the speed
- Experiments based on data
- Wrapping the learnings
Practices to boost ownership
- Psychological Ownership
- The Dude’s law - The key to unlocking ownership
- Fix the system, not the individuals
- Create an organisational exoskeleton to boost the sense of ownership
- Why decentralise the decision-making process?
- A few more ingredients
Delegation board: A tool to foster engagement
- Key decision areas
- Factors to weigh
- The seven levels
- The board
- Another brief example of a delegation board
- The main takeaway regarding how to boost ownership
Practices to develop competencies
- It’s not only about providing training
The KAFE of competencies
- A simple real example
- Designing new competencies
- The boundaries and overlaps between coaching and mentoring
- The everyday learning
- Agile Coach as a Learning Facilitator
- Ingredients to develop competencies
Collaborative and emergent learning as a critical element to developing competencies
- Learning 1.0
- Learning 2.0
- Learning 3.0
- The essence of Learning 3.0
- Learning Canvas - A tool to promote collaborative learning
- How to use Learning 3.0 in Agile Teams?
- Cross-pollination of ideas and experiences
- The homework regarding the development of competencies
Practices to facilitate barrier removal
The most typical barriers
- The AntiValue
- The AntiFlow
- The AntiEvolution
- A few narratives to deal with obstacles
Synthesising the typical levers
- Recursive use of the Agile Coaching DNA
- System thinking as the key ingredient
- Improvement Mapping - An example of a tool
- Takeaways about facilitation of barrier removal
- The most typical barriers
Agile Coaching as an activity, not as a role
- A full-time role?
- Is there any solution for this situation?
- Avoiding the kiss of death
- Democratising the Activity of Agile Coaching
- The Great Takeaway
- The general takeaway
- Collaborate to the next versions of this book
- About the author
Words can change worldshttp://www.shineliteracy.org.za
Shine Literacy is a non-profit organisation that seeks to improve literacy outcomes for young children from disadvantaged communities in South Africa. Working in partnership with teachers, volunteers and parents, our evidence-based programmes provide effective and sustained support to children as they learn to read and write, helping to foster a life-long love of books and learning.
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.