The Agile Coaching DNA
The Agile Coaching DNA
About the Book
This book will be an evolutionary work to share ideas and experiences about practices and techniques to catalyse improvements, promote awareness, boost ownership, develop competencies, and facilitate barrier removal during the journey of agile adoption.
This material will grow iteratively and incrementally. I will highlight the new "features" of the book in the next release notes. Your feedback will be the fuel to improve this material, and your comments and ideas will drive the evolution of this book.
Version 7.0 (latest)
I proudly introduce the release 7.0 of the Agile Coaching DNA Book. Now, all five objectives/elements of the model are covered and detailed. It's a special moment for the Agile Coaching DNA community.
In this release, we're digging into the subject of facilitating barrier removal. It's a hot topic for many companies. For this reason, we're exploring different concepts and tools to assist Agile Coaches in creating effective ways to facilitate this process.
Following the tradition, I invited a few special guests to enrich and expand the options to overcome obstacles. Hugo Azevedo, Nafees Butt, Gustavo Irisa, Lara Rejane, Samuel Crescêncio, Johnny Ordóñez, Eduardo Brandão, and Vitor Queiroz are sharing narratives about approaches to deal with the most frequent type of barriers in the organisations.
Additionally, we're exploring the following topics:
- How to deal with the AntiValue, AntiFlow and AntiEvolution.
- Typical levers to remove barriers
- How to use the Agile Coaching DNA recursively
- How to make systemic interventions in the organisation
- How to use The Improvement Mapping to facilitate the barrier removal
I'm sure, you're going to enjoy this version.
* Notes for release 7.1
In this version, we added a bibliography section at the end of the book.
- Version 7.1 (latest)
- Version 7.0
- Version 6.1
- Version 6.0
- Version 5.0
- Version 4.2
- Version 4.0
- Version 3.0
- Version 2.2
- Version 2.0
- Version 1.0
- Typical challenges during a change journey
Who are the clients of Agile Coaching
- Who is the client in Agile contexts?
- Coaching Agile teams requires an integral approach
- Why do we need Agile Coaches?
- You may not need Agile Coaches
- How to avoid fluffy approaches.
- Identifying a reasonable level of coachability
- Non-judgemental approach increases coachability
- The origin of this DNA
Introducing the DNA for Agile Coaching
- Catalyse Improvements
- Promote Awareness
- Boost Ownership
- Facilitate Barrier Removal
- Develop Competencies
- How to evolve with this DNA
- Examples of Agile Coaching activities based on this DNA
Practices to catalyse improvements
- Agile Coach as Change Facilitator
Strategies for change facilitation
- Reduce the friction in organisational changes
- GROWing improvements
Ingredients to catalyse organisational improvement
- Change management vs change facilitation
- What are the most important ingredients for change?
Extracting a metamodel of ingredients to change
- Clarity and responsibility about why change is necessary
- Desire to collaborate on the change journey
- Low organisational friction and high safety to explore new things
- A continuous review cycle covering all the listed ingredients
- A brief story about this ingredient metamodel
- Takeaway from the ingredients to catalyse improvements
Practices to promote awareness
- Key enablers for awareness
Driving people’s attention to actionable areas
A few more ideas to increase awareness
- Identity the sources of dissatisfaction using STATIK
- Be aware of interruptions
- Several things I think that help promote awareness
- Visual Thinking
- System thinking to promote awareness
- Takeaway regarding the practices to promote awareness
Agile Coaching supported by a data-informed culture
- Why are metrics important?
- Gathering data to feed good retrospectives
A few examples of actionable metrics
- Lead Time
- Flow Efficiency
- Health Checks
- Measure outcomes, not a particular practice or technique
- Team Agility Health Check
- Organisational Agility Health Check
- Business Measurements - Focus on the direction, not only on the speed
- Experiments based on data
- Wrapping the learnings
Practices to boost ownership
- Psychological Ownership
- The Dude’s law - The key to unlocking ownership
- Fix the system, not the individuals
- Create an organisational exoskeleton to boost the sense of ownership
- Why decentralise the decision-making process?
- A few more ingredients
Delegation board: A tool to foster engagement
- Key decision areas
- Factors to weigh
- The seven levels
- The board
- Another brief example of a delegation board
- The main takeaway regarding how to boost ownership
Practices to develop competencies
- It’s not only about providing training
The KAFE of competencies
- A simple real example
- Designing new competencies
- The boundaries and overlaps between coaching and mentoring
- The everyday learning
- Agile Coach as a Learning Facilitator
- Ingredients to develop competencies
Collaborative and emergent learning as a critical element to developing competencies
- Learning 1.0
- Learning 2.0
- Learning 3.0
- The essence of Learning 3.0
- Learning Canvas - A tool to promote collaborative learning
- How to use Learning 3.0 in Agile Teams?
- Cross-pollination of ideas and experiences
- The homework regarding the development of competencies
Practices to facilitate barrier removal
The most typical barriers
- The AntiValue
- The AntiFlow
- The AntiEvolution
- A few narratives to deal with obstacles
Synthesising the typical levers
- Recursive use of the Agile Coaching DNA
- System thinking as the key ingredient
- Improvement Mapping - An example of a tool
- Takeaways about facilitation of barrier removal
- The most typical barriers
Agile Coaching as an activity, not as a role
- A full-time role?
- Is there any solution for this situation?
- Avoiding the kiss of death
- Democratising the Activity of Agile Coaching
- The Great Takeaway
- The general takeaway
- Collaborate to the next versions of this book
- About the author
Words can change worldshttp://www.shineliteracy.org.za
Shine Literacy is a non-profit organisation that seeks to improve literacy outcomes for young children from disadvantaged communities in South Africa. Working in partnership with teachers, volunteers and parents, our evidence-based programmes provide effective and sustained support to children as they learn to read and write, helping to foster a life-long love of books and learning.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...