Experiential Learning 3: Simulation
Experiential Learning 3: Simulation
About the Book
This series is an attempt to collect and organize more than 50 years of experience by many learning leaders using the experiential method to aid students in a variety of subjects, including, to our knowledge,
* software development
* software testing
* project management
* business administration
* environmental science
* family therapy
* computer science
Where Can The Series Be Helpful?
The Experiential Learning series consists of three volumes. The first volume—Beginning—concerns getting started: starting using the experiential method, starting to design exercises, and getting a particular exercise off to a good start.
It should be particularly helpful for short classes—a day or two, or even an hour or two—though it could be for starting to use experiential parts of a longer workshop consisting of both short and long experiential pieces as well as more traditional learning models.
The second volume—Inventing—guides the reader in constructing and delivering classes consisting entirely (or almost entirely) of one or more experiential exercises.
Volume Three—Simulations—takes up the possibilities for longer classes and longer exercises.
What Can Be Learned from the Series?
At the beginning of our classes, we generally gather the students' hopes for what will happen as a result of the class. (You can read more about this practice in the section called Requirements Gathering.) We haven't figured out how to gather requirements from each reader of a book, but we do offer a class about experiential learning, and from these classes, we've developed some ideas of what most of our students want.
So, what can you hope to gain from reading these volumes? If your hopes for these books is similar, we've made a list of hopes distilled from these classes:
1. Learn practical knowledge about designing experiential exercises.
2. Expand my understanding of what participants experience during experiential exercises.
3. Unlearn things that interfere with effective experiential learning.
4. Help to expand my "big picture" about this topic.
5. Link to other knowledge to help increase my effectiveness.
6. Figure out if students are really learning.
We've used this list to guide us in deciding what to include, and as with any experiential exercise, this book may lead its readers to many additional lessons we never planned for them.
Bundles that include this book
Table of Contents
- Volume 3 Supplementary Preface
- Who Should Read this Series?
- Where Can The Series Be Helpful?
- What Can Be Learned from the Series?
- How Can a Reader Help Improve Future Editions?
Templates for Learning
- The lecture course template
- The seminar template
- The learning cycle
- The sequence of learning cycles
- The N-thalon Template
A Writing Workshop
- Opening exercise
- Second exercise
- A series of exercises
- Finishing the workshop
The N-thalon Template
- Instructor Notes
- Variations on the N-thalon Template
The Olympic Problems
- Personnel Problems
- Paperwork Problems
- Technical Work
- Maintenance Work
- Answer Sheet (Instructors’ Eyes Only)
Other Uses for the N-thalon Template
- Invention possibilities
- Direct simulation traps
- Too accurate detail
- Too embarrassing
- Unnecessary detail
- Almost but not quite
Simulating a Project
- Hudson’s Bay Start
- Simulating a Small Project
- The small project template
- Details of the simulated product
The Sentence Project
- Specifications (given to each team)
- Questions and answers about the product
- Questions, good answers (A) and bad answers (B)
Simulating an Entire Organization
- Verseworks origin
- Simulating a Multi-Level Organization: Overview
- The Verseworks Process Flow
Setting Up for a Long Simulation
- Signs to prepare
Income and Expense
- Art work
- Other customers
- Service labor
- Certificates of deposit
- The Mine Lease
- Mining process
- OSHA inspections
- Mining consulting
- The canary’s role
- Recycling Scrabble tiles
- About puzzles
- Puzzle Sequence
- Verse Specifications
- Foundry prices
- Work orders
- Rate of foundry work
- The Observer Team
- Rules both in and out of the simulation
- Broken exercises
- Control points in Verseworks
- When jail doesn’t work
Proper Use of Control Mechanisms
- Control by design
- There are no wrong simulations
- Design for failure
- Final Thoughts
- The Klingon Barometer Reading
- Time Outs
- Financial Reporting
- Removing roles
- Observers’ Report
- Using a retrospective to process VerseWorks
- Retrospective Procedure
Inventing Models in Groups
- Functional group question and answer
- Functional group reporting
Models of Communication Among Groups
- Communication lines
- Satir Interaction Model
- Satir change model
- Freedom to act
- Power lines
- Back-home analogies
Appendix A: The Satir Change Model
- Late Status Quo
- Upsetting the balance: the Foreign Element
- Stage 2: Chaos
- Stage 3: Integration and Practice
- Stage 4: New Status Quo
Appendix B: The Satir Interaction Model
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them