Towards Next Practice Enterprise Architecture
Last updated on 2020-05-17
About the Book
This book stems from a growing frustration with what I call “mainstream” enterprise architecture (EA).
- Is mainstream EA perhaps losing momentum and influence?
- Does EA have a problem of scope and perspective?
- Or is there a lack of relevance to practical business problems?
So what’s the alternative? Can emerging approaches to EA help to re-establish practical business
There are many ideas within Systems Thinking (ST) that could be relevant. So among other things, I shall
be looking at possible cross-fertilization between EA and ST.
- What practical lessons can EA learn from ST, and what are the opportunities and challenges for collaboration between the two disciplines?
- What practical benefits can a systems thinking perspective bring to enterprise architecture?
- Which of the tools and techniques of systems practice can usefully be added to the enterprise architecture toolbox?
- How can enterprise architects, systems thinkers and others work together in multi-disciplinary teams?
This book doesn’t claim to provide a full set of answers to these questions, but represents a preliminary exploration of what a solution might look like. My hope is to encourage other EA thinkers and practitioners to go beyond fancy diagrams and rhetoric and to work together to develop a properly grounded approach.
- Purpose of book
- Structure of book
- Shoulders of giants
- Version Notes
- What is EA (Enterprise Architecture)?
- What is ST (Systems Thinking)?
- On the unreliability of labels
- An encounter between Enterprise Architecture (EA) and System Thinking (ST)
- Satiable curtiosity
- EA agenda
- EA History
- Body of Knowledge
- EA Schools and Doctrines
- EA Parallels
- EA Theory
- EA Issues
- ST History
- ST Schools
- We Ought to Know the Difference
- ST Theory
Concepts and Claims
- Enterprise AS system
- Models and Modelling
- Architecture and Abstraction
- Shearing Layers
- Boundary Perimeter Edge
Comparing and Contrasting EA and ST
- On Hard and Soft Systems in Technology
- Pitfalls and misconceptions
- From Sedimented Principles to Enabling Prejudices
- EA Value Proposition
- Emergent Dysfunction
- Architecture and Logic
- Perspective in Depth
- How progressive are EA and ST?
- Mutual Evaluation
- Preliminary remarks on practice
- Developing a practice
- Is EA a science?
- Preliminary Remarks on Theory
- The Nature and Nurture of Engineering
- Methodologies and Frameworks
- Hybrid Thinking
- Combining and converging EA with ST
- Theoretical convergence
- Structure, Strategy and Execution
- Design for Regulation
Towards Next Practice EA
- Why do we need next practice?
- Asymmetric design
- Emergent Architecture
- Meeting in the Middle - the New Architecture
- Organic architecture
- From Pace Layering to Panarchitecture
- Next Action
- Recommended Reading
- Other References
- Topic-Specific Sources
Out of Scope
- Adam’s Law
- Research programme
- Third-Order Requirements Engineering
- Aristotle’s Ten Categories of Being
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.