Building Organizational Intelligence
Building Organizational Intelligence
About the Book
An intelligent organization is characterized by the following collective abilities:
- an ability to make sense of complex situations and act effectively
- an ability to interpret and act upon relevant events and signals in the environment
- an ability to develop, share and use knowledge relevant to its business purpose
- an ability to reflect and learn from experience
To make an intelligent organization, it isn't enough to recruit the brightest people, locate them in state-of-the-art office buildings, and provide them with the smartest computer tools and networks. Brainy individuals are often poor at talking to one another and sharing knowledge, let alone coordinating their work effectively. So many organizations fall short of their potential intelligence.
The book contains
- a general framework and roadmap for understanding and improving organizational intelligence in your organization
- a broad range of real-life examples, showing the presence and absence of organizational intelligence from various perspectives
- guidance for specialist functions (including HR and IT) for contributing to the organizational intelligence agenda, as well as vendors wishing to support organizational intelligence in their customers
For the time being, the book remains a working draft, with a lot of rough edges. What this means is that I shall continue to improve the book, based on reader questions and comments, as well as experience and examples arising from my consultancy, training and other activities. Readers will be able to download the latest version. When it's reasonably clean I shall put the price up for new readers, so please buy now and help me improve it.
Please visit the Linked-In discussion group.
Table of Contents
- Nature of Intelligence in Organizations
- What is Organizational Intelligence?
- The Power of Minds at Work
- Emotional Intelligence
- Information Gathering
- Decision, Policy and Action
- Knowledge and Memory
- Learning and Development
- Communication and Collaboration
- Five Disconnects
Selected loops and patterns
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Big Data and OrgIntelligence
- Command and Control
- Knowledge Management
- Automation and Intelligence
- Evidence-based policy
- From Complex Event Processing (CEP) to Business Process Management (BPM)
- Enterprise 2.0
- How Dashboards Work
- Time for Understanding
- From Water Cooler to Web 2.0
- Social Networking
- OrgIntelligence at Aviva
- Intelligence Failure at Kodak
- Do banks need more intelligence?
- Military Intelligence
- Resource Allocation
- OrgIntelligence in the Control Room
- OrgIntelligence in the Roman Catholic Church
- Political Parties
- Symptoms of organizational stupidity
- Cognitive error
- Enemies of Intelligence
- The Power of Preconceptions
- OrgIntelligence and Gender
- Effective Governance
- Can we improve organizational intelligence?
- Collaboration Chasm
- Collaboration and Trust
- Adoption Breadth and Depth
- Organization structure
- Software architecture - integrating applications
- Other tools
- Embedding Intelligence into the Business Process
- Question to Consider
- Intelligence as Requirement
- Quantifying Requirements
- Requisite information
- Requisite Collaboration
- Stage Zero Assessment
- Stage One Assessment
- References and Further Reading
- Source material and further examples by topic
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them