Working With Forge Servers
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2017-09-05
About the Book
What the Book aims to cover :
- All the stupid stuff that I didn't know when I started working with Linux servers.
- How to properly setup your laravel project in github so that it works in Forge.
- Stuff like "How do I restart mysql, nginx, postgres, etc"
- Stuff like "I see postgress is running, but I don't use it, how do I stop it."
- Stuff like "There's no swap file on my VM, how do I get one?"
- Stuff like "Where the heck are the log files so I can see what's hitting my website.
- And more! (Check out the table of contents using the [table of contents] link above and to the left.)
The book is roughly 50 pages as a PDF (Technically it's 63 pages, but there's a table of contents, forward etc..)
- Book status
- Overview of this book.
- Part 1 - Before your first server
Chapter 1.1 - Git Your Code on Forge.
- The rules:
- The example:
- Part 2 Using Forge Servers
Chapter 2.1 - Finding Stuff
- Using the ‘find’ command
- Finding an executable in your path.
- Finding config files
Chapter 2.2 - Various paths
- Maria DB / MySQL
Chapter 2.3 - Updating the path
- Path convenience
- Path confusion: when there is more than one version of the same program on your system
- Troubleshooting path issues.
- How to update the path.
- Seeing the current path
- Editing the path
Chapter 2.4 - Restarting stuff.
- To Restart mysql
- To Restart mariaDB
- To Restart postgres
- To Restart Apache
- To Restart Nginx:
- To Restart the PHP loader for Nginx:
- To Restart the server
- To Restart fail2ban
Chapter 2.5 - Using Databases
- Databases on Forge.
- Creating a database on your DB server.
- Other DB stuff
- How to load a SQL dump file into a new Mysql DB
- To restore a SQL dump from Sequel Pro:
Chapter 2.6 - Keeping the server up to date:
To update the update system:
sudo apt-get update
To update the server:
sudo apt-get upgrade
- To update the update system:
Chapter 2.7 - Backups
- SPATIE Backup (open source)
- Backing up to Dropbox is the smartest thing ever.
Chapter 2.8 - Scheduling
- Overview of the Laravel Scheduler
- Steps to enable scheduled tasks for a forge server.
Chapter 2.9 - Adding a swap file to low memory Virtual Machines.
- Steps to add a swapfile
Chapter 2.10 - Removing an unused Postgres database
- Why remove Postgres
- Removing posrgres
- Chapter 2.11 Connecting to your server with SSH.
Chapter 2.12 - When things go wrong.
- Tips & Commands for troubleshooting
- Part 3 Bonus
Chapter 3.1 - Fixing Valet or MAMP Errors
- Errors that happen in production that don’t show up in your Development environment
- Notes on mysql/maria db:
Chapter 3.2 - Fixing Composer update permissions issues.
- tempting/easy fix:
- possibly ‘better’ fix.
Chapter 3.3 Case Insensitive Change Directory Command
- Steps to enable Case Insensitive CD mode:
Chapter 3.4 - Webmin as a mouse driven alternative
- Another way
- What is Webmin?
- Installing in Forge
- Opening up port 10000
- Accessing Webmin for the First Time
- Install NGINX Module
- Correct PostgreSQL Config File Location
- Chapter 4.0 - References and Links
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...