Working With Forge Servers
Working With Forge Servers
About the Book
What the Book aims to cover :
- All the stupid stuff that I didn't know when I started working with Linux servers.
- How to properly setup your laravel project in github so that it works in Forge.
- Stuff like "How do I restart mysql, nginx, postgres, etc"
- Stuff like "I see postgress is running, but I don't use it, how do I stop it."
- Stuff like "There's no swap file on my VM, how do I get one?"
- Stuff like "Where the heck are the log files so I can see what's hitting my website.
- And more! (Check out the table of contents using the [table of contents] link above and to the left.)
The book is roughly 50 pages as a PDF (Technically it's 63 pages, but there's a table of contents, forward etc..)
- Book status
- Overview of this book.
- Part 1 - Before your first server
Chapter 1.1 - Git Your Code on Forge.
- The rules:
- The example:
- Part 2 Using Forge Servers
Chapter 2.1 - Finding Stuff
- Using the ‘find’ command
- Finding an executable in your path.
- Finding config files
Chapter 2.2 - Various paths
- Maria DB / MySQL
Chapter 2.3 - Updating the path
- Path convenience
- Path confusion: when there is more than one version of the same program on your system
- Troubleshooting path issues.
- How to update the path.
- Seeing the current path
- Editing the path
Chapter 2.4 - Restarting stuff.
- To Restart mysql
- To Restart mariaDB
- To Restart postgres
- To Restart Apache
- To Restart Nginx:
- To Restart the PHP loader for Nginx:
- To Restart the server
- To Restart fail2ban
Chapter 2.5 - Using Databases
- Databases on Forge.
- Creating a database on your DB server.
- Other DB stuff
- How to load a SQL dump file into a new Mysql DB
- To restore a SQL dump from Sequel Pro:
Chapter 2.6 - Keeping the server up to date:
To update the update system:
sudo apt-get update
To update the server:
sudo apt-get upgrade
- To update the update system:
Chapter 2.7 - Backups
- SPATIE Backup (open source)
- Backing up to Dropbox is the smartest thing ever.
Chapter 2.8 - Scheduling
- Overview of the Laravel Scheduler
- Steps to enable scheduled tasks for a forge server.
Chapter 2.9 - Adding a swap file to low memory Virtual Machines.
- Steps to add a swapfile
Chapter 2.10 - Removing an unused Postgres database
- Why remove Postgres
- Removing posrgres
- Chapter 2.11 Connecting to your server with SSH.
Chapter 2.12 - When things go wrong.
- Tips & Commands for troubleshooting
- Part 3 Bonus
Chapter 3.1 - Fixing Valet or MAMP Errors
- Errors that happen in production that don’t show up in your Development environment
- Notes on mysql/maria db:
Chapter 3.2 - Fixing Composer update permissions issues.
- tempting/easy fix:
- possibly ‘better’ fix.
Chapter 3.3 Case Insensitive Change Directory Command
- Steps to enable Case Insensitive CD mode:
Chapter 3.4 - Webmin as a mouse driven alternative
- Another way
- What is Webmin?
- Installing in Forge
- Opening up port 10000
- Accessing Webmin for the First Time
- Install NGINX Module
- Correct PostgreSQL Config File Location
- Chapter 4.0 - References and Links
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.