Strategies for developing and deploying with WordPress
About the Book
This book is aimed at technical people that for some reason or another want to build more advanced applications, or just a standard web site for that matter, on top of WordPress. If you want to get a taste for what type of content to expect, I suggest you head on over to my website and check out the blog posts about WordPress development. http://erik.torgesta.com/category/wordpress/ If that content is useful, you will find that the book goes even deeper into the same type of issues and has lots more code sampels.
Most of the content is aimed at software developers rather than IT operations with the ambition to explain and educate so that the resulting software product is suitable for automated deployments. So it's much more a Dev book than an Ops book.
Having said that, I think it offers some understanding of WordPress that may benefit more than just developers.
1. About this book
- Why use WordPress for this?
- Who should read this?
- Conventions used in this book
- Code used in this book
- 2. Building blocks for our environment
3. Going to work, putting the parts together
- Installing all the tools
- Creating a remote git repository
- Setting up Vagrant
- Testing the Vagrant environment
- Setting up Grunt
- Installing WordPress using Grunt
4. Creating a skeleton application
- The theme
- The plugin
- Activating the theme and the plugin
5. Bootstrapping content
- The problem with WordPress content
- A possible solution to handling WordPress contents
- A two part solution
- Configuring WP-CFM
- Configuring Bootstrap
- Some thoughts on this content strategy
6. Building on top of WordPress
- Getting started with Restrict Content Pro
- More plumbing
- More Restrict Content Pro settings
- Status check
- Adding more features
- Google Analytics
- Sending external emails with Mandrill
- Why we do it like we do it
- The different environments
- Creating the Development environment
- Creating the Test environment
- Creating the staging environment
- Setting up a Staging environment on Digital Ocean
- Setting up a Staging environment on a Vagrant box
- Creating the Production environment
- Installing Rocketeer
- Configure Rocketeer
- Running Rocketeer the first time
- Running the first deployment
- Next steps
8. Using composer with WordPress
- Using composer with WordPress
- Benefits of using Composer
9. Testing your code with PHPUnit
- PHPUnit configuration file
- Writing the first test
- Enabling Code coverage
10. A development process
- What we didn’t cover
- …and now?
Appendix 1. Standard options
- Additional notes:
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.