About the Book
This book orginally accompanied the What's New in Java 8 Udemy video course and has since been updated and expanded. It describes, in-depth, Java 8 lambdas and related new features of Java 8.
After reading the book, you'll;
- Have an overview of new features in Java 8
- Understand lambdas in-depth, their background, syntax, implementation details and how and when to use them
- Understand the difference between functions to classes and why that's relevant to lambdas
- Understand the difference between lambdas and closures
- Appreciate the improvements to type inference that drive a lot of the new features
- Be able to use method references and understand scoping and "effectively final"
- Understand the differences in bytecode produced when using lambdas
- Be able to reason about exceptions and exception handling best practice when using lambdas
So whether you're migrating existing Java programs to Java 8 or building applications from scratch, this course and book will help you start to leverage the power of functional programming on the Java platform.
About the Author
Toby is an independent consultant based in London. He specialises in agile enablement, training and modern software development.