Web Component Architecture & Development with AngularJS
Web Component Architecture & Development with AngularJS
Building reusable UI components
About the Book
In the era of the "single page" web app, the days of monolithic application development will soon be coming to an end. Web application development will become a simple process of quickly mixing, matching, and assembling pre-built Web Components as custom HTML tags from multiple libraries and authors.
Web development engineers will leave most of the tasks of application assembly to non-technical designers, while shifting focus towards building re-usable web components. The W3C Web Component specs still have yet to be fully standardized and implemented, but you do not need to wait in order to get started building re-usable UI component libraries with source code organized in a way that is easily upgraded to Web Component APIs.
This book includes discussion and hands-on examples of:
- The emerging W3C Web Component browser standards
- Using AngularJS 1.x.x directives to create Web Component ready code
- Browser WC polyfills and frameworks including Polymer and X-Tag
- UI component architecture that follows best practices and patterns
- Testing, tooling, build automation, and continuous delivery for UI component libraries
- Techniques for creating custom html tags for UX designers
- Transforming component directives into real Web Components with angular-custom-element
- Release Notes
- Git Repo, Bugs, and Suggestions
- The Problem…
- A Brief History of Front-End development for the Web
- Why AngularJS?
- What this Book Is and Isn’t
Chapter 1 - Web UI Component Architectures
- Key Patterns in UI Component Development
- MVC, MVP, MVVM, MVwhatever
- Dependency Injection (IOC)
- Observer and Mediator Patterns
- Module Pattern
- Loose Coupling of Dependencies
Chapter 2 - AngularJS As a UI Component Framework
- Why AngularJS? (part 2)
- Dynamic Views
- Two Way Data Binding
- Dependency Injection
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Don’t Repeat Yourself (DRY)
- POJO Models
- AngularJS and Other Frameworks in the Same Page
- Forward Compatibility with W3C Web Components and MDV
Chapter 3 - AngularJS Component Primer Part One: The View
- AngularJS Core Directives
- Scoping Directives ng-app, ng-controller
- Event Listener Directives
- DOM & Style Manipulation Directives
- Rolling Our Own Directives
- Directive Declaration
- Directive Naming
- Directives Definition
- Dependency Injection (API) Strategies
- The Directive Lifecycle
- Testing Directives
- AngularJS 2.0, Web Components and Directive Re-classification
Chapter 4 - AngularJS Component Primer Part 2: Models and Scope
- Data Models in AngularJS
- Data Representation in the View
- $scope creation and destruction
- Built In $scope methods and properties
- Decoupled Communication
- Data Binding and Execution Context
- Debugging Scopes and Testing Controllers
Chapter 5 - Standalone UI Components by Example
- Building a Smart Button component
- Directive definition choices
- Attributes as Component APIs
- Events and Event Listeners as APIs
- Advanced API Approaches
- What About Style Encapsulation?
- Style Encapsulation Strategies
- Unit Testing Component Directives
- Setting Up Test Coverage
- Component Directive Unit Test File
- Unit Tests for our Component APIs
Chapter 6 - UI Container Components by Example
- Defining a Set of Navigation Components
- Building the UI Components
- The Menu Item Component
- Menu Item API Unit Test Coverage
- The Dropdown Component
- Reusing Existing Open Source Code
- Dropdown Menu Unit Test Coverage
- Global Navigation Bar Container
- NavBar API Documentation
- NavBar Unit Test Coverage
Chapter 7 - Build Automation & Continuous Integration for Component Libs
- Delivering Components To Your Customers
- Source Code Maintenance?
- UI Library Focused
- Node.js and NPM
- Task Runners and Workflow Automation
- Useful Tasks for a Component Lib Workflow
- Gulp.js - The Streaming Build System
- Continuous Integration and Delivery
- Bower Package Registry
- Salvaging Legacy Applications with AngularJS UI Components
Chapter 8 - W3C Web Components Tour
- The Roadmap to Web Components
- The Stuff They Call “Web Components”
- Custom Elements
- Shadow DOM
- Using the <template> Tag
- HTML Imports (Includes)
- Object.observe - No More Dirty Checking!
- New ES6 Features Coming Soon
- Google Traceur Compiler
- AngularJS 2.0 Roadmap and Future Proofing Code
- Writing Future Proof Components Today
Chapter 9 - Building with Web Components Today
- Platform.js (Webcomponents.js) - Web Components Polyfills
- Polymer Based Libraries
- Mozilla X-Tags
- Chapter 10 - Integrating Web Components with AngularJS using Angular Custom Element
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Advanced Product Management
3 BooksGet The Art of Strategy, Product Discovery and Lean Product Management with a 20% discount.