Vue.js Component Patterns (The Book + Exercises and Solutions)
Vue.js Component Patterns
About the Book
What you'll learn
The goal of this course is to teach you the fundamentals to make Vue.js components that are simpler, more flexible and most of all fun to build and use!
This course is the fastest way to get up to speed with advanced Vue.js concepts and is guarantueed to jump start your learning.
Who is this course for?
This course is for everyone with a basic understanding of Vue.js who wants to learn more about using components effectively.
Why you should learn more about components
Having build frontends in multiple frameworks, I'm fascinated by how all these frameworks converge on the very same idea of a reusable component.
And it really is a repeating pattern. You have a component which encapsulates state, logic and even styling. With props in and events out, you can use these components to compose complex UIs.
It is therefore well worth to invest more time in learning how to work with components effectively
What you'll learn
The full course is currently 12 chapters long with more content added constantly.
- Fundamentals of building portable components with Vue.js
- How to solve every day problems with Component Composition using Vue.js slots and scoped slots
- Create Headless or Renderless components for maximum flexibility
- Build Functional components in cases where a template is not flexible enough
- Dynamic Component Rendering instead of lots of if/else statements
- How to use Mixins, Extends, High Order Components and why you should favor composition
- Refactor large and complex components into Smart vs. Dumb Components
- You learn about the Prop Drilling Problem and some easy ways to fix it
- How to use the Provide/Inject Pattern to build composite components
- Async component loading to improve your apps loading time
- How to build well behaving components
- Component Antipatterns - what not to do
Exercises with Solutions
Apply what you learn with more than 12 interesting and real-life exercises with solutions.
Some components you will build:
- Flexible Card Components
- Twitter Stream
- Filtered Lists
- Countdown Timer
- Data Provider
- Themeable Components
Join the discussion in our Community at spectrum.chat. Show your solutions, give feedback and have fun!
Work in Progress
The Vue.js Component Patterns course is still in production and the price increases as more lessons become available. Get the course today and save a bunch on our Early Access Offer.
The Book + Exercises and Solutions
Improve your understanding with a set of exercises and solutions
- Tooling and Code Examples
- Images used in this book
Introduction to Components with Vue.js
- Components can be reused
- Passing data to child components as props
- Sending messages to parents with events
Component Composition with Slots
- Slots as Content Placeholders
- Named Slots
Component Composition with Scoped Slots
- List of Items Example
- Refactor to Reusable List component
- Extending the rendering of the list item
- Using Destructuring for scoped slots
- The Toggle Component
- Reusing the component together with a Switch Component
- Expand/Collapse Component and Prop Collections
- Functional components using the vue-cli and SFC
- Functional components using Vue.component and render function
- Functional components using Vue.component and JSX
Dynamic component rendering
- Using the
Mixins, extending components and High Order Components
- Global Mixins
- Local Mixins
- Extending components
- High Order Components
Smart vs Dumb Components
- List of Users as smart and dump components
The Prop Drilling Problem
- Example with nested components
- Solution using slots
Tabbed Navigation using
- Accordion using Provide/Inject
- Tabbed Navigation using
Data Loader Components
axiosHTTP client library
- HTTP Request Component
Well behaving Vue components
- Use events instead of callbacks
- Transparent event handling
- Attribute handling
Component Design Best Practices
- Avoid speculative generality
- Simple API
- Do your research first
- Break up components into smaller pieces
- Follow the shape of your data
- Use composition patterns only when needed
- Easy styling
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.