Writing With Vim
Writing With Vim
About the Book
I have been using Vim for writing for a few years now, and would like to share my favorite tips, tricks, and configuration settings in a book for you. In a fantastic feat of dogfooding, I'll be writing the book using Vim, which will clearly be useful and entertaining.
Here are some topics that which might interest you:
- how to set up Vim to enable smooth writing
- the best keyboard shortcuts for editing and navigating prose (not the same as programming keys!)
- how to set up your spellchecker, dictionaries, thesauruses (thesauri?)
- how to automatically correct typos
- great plugins to enhance your writing experience
- 1. Get in touch
- Prerequisites / assumptions
- Philosophy of using Vim for writing
- Typeface Conventions
- Vim Conventions
- Learning More
3. Setting Up Vim to Enable Smooth Writing
- Your Vim writing function
- Reducing distractions and basic configuration
- Fullscreen mode
4. Viewing and Writing Files
- Using maximum screen real-estate
- Simple centered soft-wrap display
5. Introduction to Plugins
- What are plugins?
- Managing your plugins
- Pathogen setup
- Getting, updating, and removing plugins
- Useful plugins
- Distraction-free writing
6. Useful Keyboard Shortcuts
- General movement
- Seeing more context
- Fast cursor movement
- Indicating visual whitespace
- Highlighting multiple spaces between sentences
- Text objects
7. Spotting and Fixing Mistakes
- Spell checking
- Getting spelling corrections
- Marking entire classes of words as good
- Automatically correcting mistakes
- Using other languages
- Multiple languages
8. Editing and Proofreading
- Finding text
- Replacing text
- Complex replacing
- Helpful remappings
- Counting words
- Checking your grammar
- Finding synonyms
- Online lookup
- vim-lexical (again!)
9. Writing Documents
- Syntax highlighting
- Good writing color schemes
- Faster syntax highlighting
- Static site generators
10. Your Writing Workflow
- Version control
- Writing linters
- Breaking down a publishing workflow
- 11. Get in touch
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.