A Little Book about Requirements and User Stories
A Little Book about Requirements and User Stories
Heuristics for requirements in an agile world
About the Book
User Stories and more - well, a bit about requirements and backlogs actually.
- How to Write Small Stories That Still Have Value
- They Can Help You Write Better User Stories
- Are systems systems role?
- Stories, Epics, and Tasks: Organizing Agile Requirements
- Defining Acceptance Criteria for Agile Requirements
- Acceptance criteria, Specifications and tests
- Definition of Done
- Non-functional requirements and what we can learn from them
- Managing dependencies between stories
- Assigning value
- Forward planning
- Backlog management
- About the author
1. Conversation and benefit
- A Placeholder for a Conversation
- Each Story Has Business Benefit
2. Small and beneficial
- A Balancing Act
- How Small Is “Small”?
- So, What’s the Right Size?
- Practice Makes Progress
3. Assessing the Business Value of Agile User Stories
- Calculating Business Value
- Assessing Cost Savings
- Time as a Business Factor
- The Importance of a Company Strategy
4. As a Who?
- “As a User”? You Can Do Better!
- Roles, Personas, and Stakeholders
- Don’t Write Stories about the Team
- Are systems roles?
- Conversation forgives and resolves
5. Stories, Epics, and Tasks
- Stories up and down
- Go Large with Epics
- Go Small with Tasks
- Three Organizational Levels
- Color Coding and Planning
- Making Use of Your Choices
6. Defining Acceptance Criteria
- Acceptance Criteria and Testers
- The Level of Detail
- The Right Time to Define
- Acceptance Criteria in Action
7. Acceptance Criteria, Specifications, and Tests
- Splitting Stories by Acceptance Criteria
- Specifications and Tests
- Specification by Example
- Test Automation: More Than Fast
8. Definition of Done
- Acceptance Criteria or Definition of Done?
- Task Twist
- Working within Columns
- Reviewing and Updating the Definition
9. Working with Nonfunctional Requirements
- Nonfunctional User Stories
- Specifying the Requirements
- Constraints and Value
- Opportunities to Benefit
- Seeking Out the Real Benefit
- Evaluation: Closing the Loop
11. Estimating Business Value
- Estimating the Business Value
- The Result: Prioritization and Conversation
12. Effects of Time on Value
- Value before Estimates
- Engineer within Constraints
- The Cost of Delay
- Time, Value, and Risk
13. Maximising return on investment
- More to Modeling and Calculating ROI
- Value-Based Prioritization
- Next Stop: Continuous Delivery
- Story by Story
14. Writing stories - where do I begin?
- Solo brainstorm
- Group brainstorm
- Write as you visit
- Big requirements doc
- Work continues
15. Backlog structure
- Two backlogs good
- Three backlogs better
- Stories, PBIs, JBTD, etc. etc.
- Use cases
- Persona stories
17. Last words of advice
- Keep them Short
- Break, don’t bend, the format
- So that
- Context is important
- Not an analysis technique
Appendix: Requirements and Specifications
- An example
- Enter the Iteration
- And tests
- Automated acceptance tests: the new formal methods
- Knowledge and Trust
Quick User Stories FAQ
- What is the right size for a User Story?
- When is the conversation?
- How do I determine business value?
- How do I make my User Stories smaller?
- When do I use a Story and when do I use and Epic?
- How big should my backlog be before we start coding?
- How do I write strong User Stories?
- When is a User Story ready to go to development?
- Acknowledgements and history
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...