A Little Book about Requirements and User Stories
A Little Book about Requirements and User Stories
Heuristics for requirements in an agile world
About the Book
User Stories and more - well, a bit about requirements and backlogs actually.
- How to Write Small Stories That Still Have Value
- They Can Help You Write Better User Stories
- Are systems systems role?
- Stories, Epics, and Tasks: Organizing Agile Requirements
- Defining Acceptance Criteria for Agile Requirements
- Acceptance criteria, Specifications and tests
- Definition of Done
- Non-functional requirements and what we can learn from them
- Managing dependencies between stories
- Assigning value
- Forward planning
- Backlog management
- About the author
1. Conversation and benefit
- A Placeholder for a Conversation
- Each Story Has Business Benefit
2. Small and beneficial
- A Balancing Act
- How Small Is “Small”?
- So, What’s the Right Size?
- Practice Makes Progress
3. Assessing the Business Value of Agile User Stories
- Calculating Business Value
- Assessing Cost Savings
- Time as a Business Factor
- The Importance of a Company Strategy
4. As a Who?
- “As a User”? You Can Do Better!
- Roles, Personas, and Stakeholders
- Don’t Write Stories about the Team
- Are systems roles?
- Conversation forgives and resolves
5. Stories, Epics, and Tasks
- Stories up and down
- Go Large with Epics
- Go Small with Tasks
- Three Organizational Levels
- Color Coding and Planning
- Making Use of Your Choices
6. Defining Acceptance Criteria
- Acceptance Criteria and Testers
- The Level of Detail
- The Right Time to Define
- Acceptance Criteria in Action
7. Acceptance Criteria, Specifications, and Tests
- Splitting Stories by Acceptance Criteria
- Specifications and Tests
- Specification by Example
- Test Automation: More Than Fast
8. Definition of Done
- Acceptance Criteria or Definition of Done?
- Task Twist
- Working within Columns
- Reviewing and Updating the Definition
9. Working with Nonfunctional Requirements
- Nonfunctional User Stories
- Specifying the Requirements
- Constraints and Value
- Opportunities to Benefit
- Seeking Out the Real Benefit
- Evaluation: Closing the Loop
11. Estimating Business Value
- Estimating the Business Value
- The Result: Prioritization and Conversation
12. Effects of Time on Value
- Value before Estimates
- Engineer within Constraints
- The Cost of Delay
- Time, Value, and Risk
13. Maximising return on investment
- More to Modeling and Calculating ROI
- Value-Based Prioritization
- Next Stop: Continuous Delivery
- Story by Story
14. Writing stories - where do I begin?
- Solo brainstorm
- Group brainstorm
- Write as you visit
- Big requirements doc
- Work continues
15. Backlog structure
- Two backlogs good
- Three backlogs better
- Stories, PBIs, JBTD, etc. etc.
- Use cases
- Persona stories
17. Last words of advice
- Keep them Short
- Break, don’t bend, the format
- So that
- Context is important
- Not an analysis technique
Appendix: Requirements and Specifications
- An example
- Enter the Iteration
- And tests
- Automated acceptance tests: the new formal methods
- Knowledge and Trust
Quick User Stories FAQ
- What is the right size for a User Story?
- When is the conversation?
- How do I determine business value?
- How do I make my User Stories smaller?
- When do I use a Story and when do I use and Epic?
- How big should my backlog be before we start coding?
- How do I write strong User Stories?
- When is a User Story ready to go to development?
- Acknowledgements and history
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
CCIE Service Provider Version 4 Written and Lab Exam Comprehensive GuideNicholas Russo
The service provider landscape has changed rapidly over the past several years. Networking vendors are continuing to propose new standards, techniques, and procedures for overcoming new challenges while concurrently reducing costs and delivering new services. Cisco has recently updated the CCIE Service Provider track to reflect these changes; this book represents the author's personal journey in achieving that certification.
CCIE SP v4.1 - WorkbookŁukasz Bromirski, Piotr Jablonski, and Nicholas Russo
Are you striving to prepare to and pass CCIE SP lab exam? Take the opportunity and get this workbook! With the attached initial cfg files you will prepare yourself for the CCIE SP exam as well as learn SP technologies applicable to all kinds of today modern networks! This workbook covers blueprint topics and provides challenging examples.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud shouldn’t be driven by wishes, but guided by a sound strategy, frameworks, and decision models. This book tells you how—without becoming superficial nor getting lost in technology and product details.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Thinking with TypesSandy Maguire
This book aims to be the comprehensive manual for type-level programming. It's about getting you from here to there---from a competent Haskell programmer to one who convinces the compiler to do their work for them.
11 BooksThe Quality Software Bundle is for managers, would-be managers, and any of us who find themselves being managed and confused. This comprehensive bundle covers the entire span of software development approaches, from hacking through waterfall, cascade, prototyping, Iterative enhancement, reusable code, off-the-shelf, to Agile teams. The bundle...
The Node.js Bundle
3 BooksThis bundle combines three bestselling Leanpub Node.js books into a package that gives you everything you need to get started with developing Node.js applications at an unbeatable price.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
People Skills—Soft but Difficult
7 BooksPerhaps you've been told that "lack of people skills" has been holding you back. No wonder: you may have had hundreds of hours of technical training, but little or no "people skills" guidance.You've heard it said that people skills are "soft," whereas technical skills are "hard." For you, though, technical skills are "easy," but people skills...