The Third Stream
The Third Stream
Creating Winning Products through Outcome-Driven Development
About the Book
The Third Stream is a pragmatic reference guide for Product people who want to shift from project-led to product-led approaches, packed full of ideas, inspiration, stories and patterns to help you make the pivot.
- Let’s go back in time: the three waves
- The time paradox
- Going back to the future
- Who is this book for?
- How can I read this book?
Chapter 1: The Third Stream
- What do we mean by outcome-driven?
Principles for the three streams
- 1. Value is not just for the user
- 2. It’s not linear
- 3. Development, not just delivery
- 4. Shift right
- 5. The real Definition of Done
- 6. Act on validated learning
Chapter 2: Measuring it
Antipattern: I feel good
- Pattern: Leading indicators
- Pattern: Actionable metrics
Antipattern: Would you recommend it?
- Pattern: Customer Impact Score
Antipattern: I’ve got 99 metrics, but outcomes ain’t 1
- Pattern: The dashboard hack
Antipattern: Lone-wolf metrics
- Pattern: Driver Trees
Antipattern: No value-driven metrics
- Pattern: Impact funnel metrics
- Antipattern: I feel good
Chapter 3: Validating Learning
- The importance of data democratisation
Antipattern: The fortune teller
- Pattern: Hypothesis-Driven Development
Antipattern: Betting all the chips on the prototype
- Pattern: Real-time betting using A/B testing
Antipattern: Zombie OKRs
- Pattern: Bi-weekly OKR reviews
Antipattern: Throw it over to the Support team
- Pattern: You build it, you own the outcome
Antipattern: How much did it cost?
- Pattern: Visualising actual outcomes
Chapter 4: Taking Action
Anti-Pattern: The data geek
- Pattern: Storytelling with data
Anti-Pattern: Surprise, surprise!
- Pattern: Outcome-Driven Product Change Model
Antipattern: Done is the end
- Pattern: Making the flow of outcomes visible
Antipattern: The broken loop to product strategy
- Pattern: The product strategy review
- Anti-Pattern: The data geek
Afterword: Shifting to The Third Stream
- Learning more
About the Authors
- David Denham
- Dionatan Moura
- References & Bibliography
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.