The Seniority Trap
The Seniority Trap
Become a senior engineer without losing your soul
About the Book
I'm 36 years old software developer. A principal engineer. In these eleven chapters, I share with you different challenges, events, situations that I encountered during your my while you're working towards my goals seeking senior positions.
There is a fair chance that you'll face these patterns too. Maybe you already lived them through.
While nobody's career can serve as a concrete recipe for success - and in any case, you have to define first what success means to you -, you can and should take ideas from other people's life and implement them in your career.
In this book, you will read about many helpful ideas to work on and pitfalls to avoid. It'd be hard to pick three items but if I must, here they are:
- Define your own definition of success
- Don't be afraid and learn to ask
- Speak up for your team and for yourself
Help a friend!
Buy two copies of The Seniority Trap and give one to a friend who you want to help grow in his/her career.
- About the author
- The number of developers is constantly growing!
- What are you going to find in this book?
Chapter 1: The value of corporations for a junior developer
- Searching boredom
- Work for a corporation!
- Sharpen your axe and chop down the tree quickly
- What do you want from a job, that is the question
Chapter 2: Getting out of the junior mindset
- It doesn’t take years to gain some experience
- What is a junior mindset?
- How to be a junior developer without the junior mindset?
Chapter 3: Find yourself something you can be passionate about
- Miraculous transformations can happen to anyone
- Accelerate your growth with the right resources
- Passion will fuel your growth. But how do you find it?
- Why you should find your niche
Chapter 4: Handle failures and obstacles so that they help you
- It’s always your fault
- The dangers of taking all the blame
- How to turn failures into growth in 5 steps?
- Tackling obstacles by asking questions and taking responsibility
- When to act, when to let it go
Chapter 5: Ask or you won’t get it
- They will take advantage of you
- Successful people take their fair shares
- But why don’t people ask?
- You have to ask for it
Chapter 6: Stand up for yourself and your values
- Do you hold values?
- They don’t have to like you
- Be a leader ________ an individual contributor
- Don’t burn all the bridges
- Respect your values
- Is it worth having conflicts?
- Never be a victim
Chapter 7: The Seniority Trap
- You wanted to code less
- You were told that this is the way to get promoted
- It just happened to you
- The way out
Chapter 8: Non-coding roles or something you like?
- Should you accept it or not?
- Create your own portfolio job
- Don’t become an energy vampire, it is never that bad
- Be always ready to change
- You have the time to do what you enjoy
Chapter 9: Transforming individual ideas into challenges
- Are you willing to give up some of your coding time?
- Three ways to become a multiplier
Chapter 10: Limit your focus to a couple of things
- Splitting your focus is the way to fail
- Whatever you think, your capacity is limited
- Your goals must make sense
Chapter 11: Keep being hungry
- Success is the best predictor of failure.
- Go for progress
- Make yourself accountable
- Keep being hungry
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.