The Psychology of Software #Testing
This book is 85% complete
Last updated on 2016-02-02
About the Book
This book is not a book to teach you how to do software testing nor will it make you into a 'expert' on psychology. It takes two of my passions, psychology and software testing, and brings them together. It will use examples that you can take away and use in your daily life, not just your testing profession.
This book is not just for testers it is for anyone involved in software development such as managers, programmers, customer ops and users.
- Why This Book
Chapter 1: Software Testing Biases
- DANGER - Confirmation Bias
- Cognitive dissonance
- What you believe might not be true
- Cognitive Illusions (or how your mind plays tricks on you)
- Patterns from Nothing
- Great Expectations
Chapter 2: Emotional Roller-coaster
- The Emotional Tester
- Recording our Emotional State
- Addicted to Testing
- Feelings Nothing but Feelings
Chapter 3: The Fallacy of Intuition
- What is Intuition
- Using System 2 thinking
- The Six Rules of Evidential Reasoning
Chapter 4: Quality - Preference or Perception
- What is Quality?
- Is this art?
- How much can you afford to lose if it fails?
- Software quality of the future
- Gaming Bugs
- Security risks and Backdoors
Chapter 5: Education and Training Others
- Training Courses
- Self Learning
- Mentoring and Coaching
- A Competent Tester
- Exploring the World
- Child’s Play
- Recipe Knowledge
Chapter 6 - Being Creative
- What is Creativity?
- The Creative Process Model
- Myths about creativity
- Idea Generation
- Supporting the creative process
- So many ideas - what next?
- Problems and Creativity
- Something Old, Something New
Chapter 7: The Importance of Critical Thinking
- What is Critical Thinking
- Automatic Thinking
- Critical Arguments
- Deductive and Inductive Reasoning
- Biases and Fallacies
- Characteristics of a critical thinker.
- Techniques to Help Critical Thinking
- The 5 W’s and H
- Connection with creativity
- The flow chart of critical thinking
- Believing in the Requirements
- Creative and Critical Thinking and Testing
- Stages of testing.
- How does this apply to testing?
Chapter 8 - Building Passion and Motivation
- What does passion mean to you?
- Defining Passion
- Passion and Motivation
- Team Motivation
- Motivation Models
- A warning about burnout
- Utilizing Passion
- Relationship to software testing
Chapter 9 - Testing and Social Science
- What Is Social Science?
- Social Science Research Methods
- Ethnographic Research Feedback
- Emergent Strategy
- Grounded Theory
- Qualitative Research Coding and Software Testing
- Autistic Software
- Tacit and Explicit Knowledge and Exploratory Testing
- Note taking - The Cornell Method
Chapter 10 - The Positive and Negative of Teamwork
- Successful Teamwork
- Personality and Behaviours
- Tips for working in teams
Chapter 15 - References
- Chapter 1 - Software Testing Biases
- Chapter 2 - Emotional Roller-coaster
- Chapter 3 - The Fallacy of Intuition
- Chapter 4 - Quality - Preference or Perception
- Chapter 5 - Education and Training Others
- Chapter 6 - Being Creative
- Chapter 7 - The Importance of Critical Thinking
- Chapter 8 - Building Passion and Motivation
- Chapter 9 - Testing and Social Science
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.