The Open Data Practitioner's Guide
Last updated on 2017-01-27
About the Book
Open data is now being routinely published by a variety of governments and organisations around the world. It is transforming how we do business, collaborate within industries and is bringing clarity to social issues.
This book is intended to offer support for open data practitioners who are involved in supporting the publication and use of open data.
The guide will provide useful background on key topics and concepts that relate to open data, whilst providing pragmatic advice on how to develop your open data practice.
The book should be useful for:
- Open data leaders in local or central government
- Data stewards responsible for overseeing the sharing and publication of data
- Developer evangelists supporting a community of developers using open data
- Open data consultants looking for checklists and similar guidance to help support and develop their practice
While the book addresses a number of technical topics, no specific technical skills or background are required.
The first section of the book will focus on introducing a number of background concepts. These essays will attempt to answer a number of questions that are important to building a good open data practice. These include:
- What is a dataset?
- How do we describe datasets?
- How do we enable reuse of data?
- How do we publish and discover datasets?
Building on these foundations, the second half of the book will explore different aspects of the practice of open data. Each of the chapters will cover a specific process or activity that collectively contribute to the sustainable publication, release and use of open data. These will include:
- How do deal with concerns around the release of data
- How to build a data release process that includes the appropriate oversight required to ensure data is published in an accessible, risk free way
- How to support re-users of your data
Overall the book is intended to provide useful signposts to guide you on your open data journey.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.