The NodeJS Cluster Module
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2017-11-19
About the Book
NodeJS processes runs on a single process, which means it does not take advantage from multi-core systems by default. If you have an 8 core CPU and run a NodeJS program via
$ node app.js it will run in a single process, wasting the rest of CPUs.
Hopefully for us NodeJS offers the cluster module that contains a set of functions and properties that help us to create programs that uses all the CPUs. Not a surprise the mechanism the cluster module uses to maximize the CPU usage was via forking processes, similar to the old fork() system call Unix systems.
Understanding the NodeJS cluster module
- Introducing the cluster module
- A basic example
- Comunicating master and worker processes
Using cluster module with HTTP servers
- How cluster module works with network connections ?
- Other alternatives to cluster module load balancing
Using PM2 to manage NodeJS cluster
- Introducing PM2
Graceful shutdown NodeJS HTTP server when using PM2
- Starting a HTTP server
- How to shutdown properly an HTTP server ?
- Graceful shutdown/restart with and without PM2
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...