The Agile Agency
Last updated on 2013-12-09
About the Book
You can't manage projects in creative agencies the same way as 10 years ago. This book tells you where it goes wrong, offers alternative approaches, and illustrates them with a number of case studies. Next to agile, lean, scrum and kanban, you will also read about gamestorming, John Cleese, Ai Weiwei, Dan Pink and rock bands.
- Why Is This Book Relevant?
- Why Did I Write This Book?
- About the Title
- How Did I Write This Book?
- What Is the Structure of This Book?
2 What Is Agile?
- The Roots of Agile
- Individuals and Interactions over Processes and Tools
- Working Software over Comprehensive Documentation
- Customer Collaboration over Contract Negotiation
- Responding to Change over Following a Plan
3 Interlude: Complexity and What Art Can Teach Us about Agile
4 Say Goodbye to the Masterpiece Mentality
- Nec Plus Ultra
- Installing the Sink
- Waterfall Thinking
- The 3 Week Fail
5 User Stories. Defining Scope in an Agile Way
- Enter: User Stories
- The Client Brief vs. User Stories
6 What Is Scrum?
- The Boot and Shoe Repair Shop
- Scrum vs. Waterfall
7 Scrum Principles and Practices
- Planning Poker
- Definition of Done
- Demo or Die
8 Applying Agile and Scrum in an Agency Environment
- The Daily Scrum
- Demo or Die
- The Scrum Board
- The Burndown Chart
- Budget and Backlog Prioritization. Scope Can Change over Time
- The Role Threesome
- Why Account Managers Are Pigs
9 What Is Lean?
- Optimize the Whole
- Focus on Customers
- Eliminate Waste and Create Flow
- Build Fast, Learn Fast
- Keep Learning
10 The Lean Bicycle Factory
- It’s Not Working
- Traffic Jam
- Work in Progress Limits
- Pull vs. Push
- Cycle Time
- Stop Starting, Start Finishing
- 11 What is Kanban?
12 Applying Lean and Kanban in an Agency Environment
- The Lean Startup
- Business Model Canvas and Lean Canvas
- Work in Progress Limits and Lead Time
13 Case Study: Using the Agile Manifesto as a Tool
- Where Are the Problems?
- Where Are the Solutions?
- In Practice
- The Results?
14 Case Study: Scrum for Rock Bands. How to Measure Progress When Recording
- The Band Splits
- Building a Backlog
- Estimating the Weight: Planning Poker
- Prioritizing the Backlog and Scope Creep
- Measuring Progress with the Burndown Chart
- The Result
15 Case Study: Using Scrum with a Hyper Fixed Deadline
- The War Room
- Bring In the Customer
- The Result
16 Case Study: How to Mix Scrum and Kanban
- Why Was This a Perfect Project to Test-Drive?
- How Did We Get Started?
- Did This Kanban Board Do the Trick?
- What Was the Result?
17 Case Study: Using a Visual Control System to Manage a Portfolio
- A Visual System
- Side Effects
- Next Steps
18 Case Study: Why You Should Play Games at Work. Gamestorming for Retrospectives
- Bad retrospectives
- Good Retrospectives and Gamestorming
- Actions for Retrospectives
- What Happens When You Start Gamestorming
19 Case Study: Why Stop with Production?
- Mapping Iterative Working on the Whole Value Chain
- Google and Their Agile Creativity
- Mindtunes. Agile Creativity Applied.
20 Case Study: Culture Hacking. Why Agile and Lean Actually Work in an Agency Environment
- What is a Culture Hack?
- The Pop-up Inspiration Session
- The Digital Production Checklist
- 21 Conclusion
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.