About the Book
If you are a writer or self publisher, you have a multitude of questions spinning around your head. Now in one volume, over 100 answers to help you find your niche, write your book and get published!
Part 1 - Becoming a writer
- How can programmers improve writing skills?
- How can I kick start a career in writing? It needn’t be being just an author, but all sorts of writing jobs. How do I get through to it?
- I wish to be a writer and I’m fairly new to writing. English is my second language. Where do I start?
- What should a teenager do if they have a book idea?
- I’m dyslexic. What software, tutoring, classes should I take advantage of?
- What’s the best for way someone with no experience to test a book idea?
- Do you have to read to become a better writer?
- Where can I find a cheap but good ghost writer? Max budget £250/ $400
- Do you need a degree?
- Do you have to graduate to be a best selling Author? If you don’t, how do you get better to become one?
- Which is the best and easily understandable ‘technical writing’ manual?
- The two books I recommend on writing
Part 2 - The writing process
- How do you quit procrastinating and find the will to write a book?
- Your nine step plan to beat procrastination
- What are some ways to get ideas for writing books?
- Should I start writing a book?
- When do you push back on an edit?
- I would like to write a book, what tools are out there (software or non) to help me accomplish this?
- How do I have my voice notes transcribed?
- Should you write specifically for your audience or simply write what you want?
- Which software do writers use to compile their novel?
- Which writing software is better: Scrivener or Ulysses 3?
- How difficult is it to write and publish a 300 page eBook in 2-3 months on Kindle with Amazon?
- Is it easy to write a 30-page e-book in a weekend that could have a best-selling status?
Part 3 - Getting published
- What is it like to write for a big Publisher?
- How much difference will an Editor make to my book sales?
- Publishers: What tips you off that a book is well written or publishable?
- What does it mean when magazine editors no longer respond to your queries?
- I have written a novel and I want to get it published. How can I find a publication for this and what’s the procedure?
- Are publishers interested in picking up books that have already been self-published?
- What is it like being an editor for an author?
- When can I say “I’m published”?
- Can I say “I’m published” even if I only publish my works online?
- How can one get into the Publishing industry?
Part 4 - Self publishing
- Is self-publishing a good option for writers?
- What is the best method for compiling an index for a non-fiction book?
- How and when should I get my book translated?
- Niche self publishing: If I write to a small audience will I sell less books?
- What do I need to do to successfully self-publish a novel?
- What is the best program to use for selling eBooks on WordPress?
- How can an author get distribution for a self-published book?
- I have a hand written copy of my scientific book that I plan to sell. What is the best way to get this into an eBook format?
- Who are the best consultants to help self publishing authors at a professional level?
- As a DIY Publisher/Producer who collaborates with different authors and artist. How do I get my books into retail?
- What is the process of converting physical books into e-books?
- What’s the best way to self publish an e-book?
- What’s your aim?
Part 5 - Marketing and promotion
- Why do some published works, especially novels, emphasize the authors’ names more than their titles on their covers?
- Why are most non-fiction books now published with subtitles?
- How would you go about marketing an upcoming poetry book?
- What do you need to set up for a book signing?
- Book writers: would you publish to Wattpad or Medium?
- How do you make money selling an eBook while giving it away at the same time for free with a special offer?
- If you publish an eBook on KDP (Amazon Kindle Publishing) and do nothing to promote it (basically, just upload and walk away) should you expect any sales?
- How do I make a cannon-ball sized splash launching my first book when I don’t have a blog, cash money, or a cult following?
Part 6 - Money matters
- How often do publishers pay royalties?
- What are the costs of having your book published by a vanity publisher?
- How can I connect with companies or publishers who may be interested in my art for various uses?
- How do I get a book published for free?
- How much does an author make per book on a translated version of their novel?
- Example translation royalty calculation
- What is the least expensive way to publish a softcover book that I plan to market and distribute myself?
- How much does publishing a book pay?
- As an author, should I accept a publisher’s offer of 15% of net (not gross) profits, or should I seek better terms?
- Does writing technical eBooks earn you more money than writing software?
Part 7 - Amazon
- How does Amazon’s on-demand book printing work?
- Amazon kills off bookstores, then opens its own next door
- Can you edit a kindle book?
- Can you modify a paper book after you’ve published it?
Part 8 Print on demand
- What is the lowest price you ever got for printing a Book On Demand book?
- How much does it cost to publish a book?
- Where do I find a distributor?
- Are there book distributors like B&T and Ingram that specialize in a niche?
- What infrastructure is in place to print paperback books throughout the world on demand?
- What publishers can be sent a manuscript to have a one-off printing of a book?
Bonus: Articles for authors
And now, ditch your first blog idea
eBooks vs print: taking the long view
Never save your document until you’re done writing
Aim at your lowest level reader
Authoring like the London roots
Focus is everything
Write your publishing plan today!
No contract, no author
Tenacity is under rated