The Nature of LIFE
The Nature of LIFE
An focus on its scientific essence and a thought work about its theoretical description
About the Book
Life. There is something strange about this term. Everybody knows what it is, but nobody can really explain what it is. In our everyday lives, the meaning of this term is somehow contained in the context we use it. In science, no theory of life exists. A huge army of teachers and researchers active in all disciplines of life sciences hardly share common ground. Life scientists are bound together by a loose band of a few interesting phenomena observable in nature. This is strange, but does not appear to be troublesome, since teaching and research work well.
The scientific lack of understanding what life actually is, is probably only an academic problem, but an interesting one! And that is where the essay "The Nature of LIFE" starts. Apparently, biologists have accepted this lack of understanding and spend no more effort to fill this gap of knowledge. Possibly, pure biological means are not enough to explain life. Possibly, a new approach from outside can help. Possibly, new insight from a discipline like Informatics can lead to a better understanding of life. And actually, there is something common in biological and computer systems: information-processing.
Learning to interpret all sorts of biological activity as information-processing uncovers a common pattern in all phenomena of life. This common pattern may show a way to a theory of life and allows to draw some interesting implications. Scientists of all biological disciplines may be able to agree. If this is really going to happen, life scientists would have a solid common ground, a better understanding for each other and would possibly collaborate even better than today.
- 1. How to define the term definition ?
2. The natural science point of view
- 2.1 The physical point of view
- 2.2 The chemical point of view
- 2.3 The biochemical point of view
- 2.4 The biological point of view
- 2.5 The cosmological point of view
- 3. The informatics point of view
- 4. The humanities point of view
- 5. A theory of life?
6. Thoughts about Life
- 6.1 What drives life and what is driven by life?
- 6.2 What has information processing to do with life?
- 6.3 What is actually the very nature, the essence, the key feature of life?
- 6.4 Is there a more concrete and understandable definition of the term Life?
- 6.5 Why is metabolism not the key feature of life?
- 6.6 How is the genesis of life scientifically imaginable?
- 6.7 To be alive, or not to be, that is (not) the (only) question!
- 6.8 What is the relationship between lifeforms and life process?
- 7. How to detect exotic life?
8. What is artificial life and can we create it?
- 8.1 Robotic Life
- 8.2 Synthetic Life
- 8.3 Virtual Life
- 9. Lifeforms vs. Robots
10. Life, Evolution and Purpose
- 10.1 Life and Evolution
- 10.2 Purpose and Life
- 10.3 Evolution and Purpose
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.