Building Test-Driven Developers (Building Test-Driven Developers ebook)
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2017-09-11
About the Book
Long-time PHP testing advocate Chris Hartjes takes a look at one of the least-understood parts of testing computer software -- managing the expectations of people. In this book Chris draws on his experience of over a decade of helping developers build the skills needed to become good at testing and talks about how tests are written by people, not machines. His views on what to do when there are no tests but you want some, or what to do with a test suite nobody likes will challenge your thoughts on what testing is really about.
"Building Test-Driven Developers" covers:
- What is a "testing culture"
- Handling things when there are no tests
- Why testing should be "just part of the job"
- Dealing with tests nobody runs
- Does "Chicago vs. London" really matter?
- Dealing with difficult people
You need people skills to go along with all those great testing skills you've been building. Chris is here to help with those too!
- Building Test-Driven Developers
Building a Testing Culture
- Primary Goal
- Tests as First Class Components
- Commitment to Peer Review
- Consistency in Development Environments
No Tests? No Problem!
- How Did We End Up Without Any Tests?
- Bug Fixes Need Proof
- New Features Require Proof
- Test Suites Are Not Bulletproof
“You’re Not Getting Paid to Test!”
- Testing Is Part of the Job
- Lost Opportunity Costs
“Nobody Is running the tests!”
- Time Pressure
- Test Are Too Slow
- Monolithic Bootstrapping
- Shared Testing Environments
- The London School
- The Chicago School
- What About You?
It’s About People
- Like Kids on a Playground
- Lack of Good Docs
- Convincing People About Time
- Cowboys Above Me
- Now What?
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.